Suitable commute/pleasure bike

Chris
Chris Posts: 81
edited April 2015 in Commuting general
Hey all,

Having not cycled at all for about 12 years (when I was a teenager, on a mountain bike) I've finally decided to bite the bullet given I work with lots of cycling types, and get off my rear end as a lazy software type and get a bike.

I'm looking to cycle around 10 miles each way on a commute with a few slightly daunting hills, via road. Having not ridden in a long time I'm not sure my confidence is up to going straight to a road bike, so thinking hybrid.

Went in to Evans today and was recommend a Pinnacle hybrid:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/lithium-two-2015-hybrid-bike-ec071280

Would this be alright for a 16 stone, 6'3" chap who hasn't done cardio in a while? I don't want to go above the £450 mark, as I'll be getting all my kit to go with the bike as well.

I was also recommended this other Pinnacle, but was put off by lack of disc brakes:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/neon-two-2015-hybrid-bike-ec054677

Any suggestions/advice would be very well received.

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    if you can get a road bike then do, if you get a hybrid I can almost guarantee it that you'll wish you had a road bike after a couple of months. Especially since you'll be doing it on the road.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-road-bike-id_8306944.html
  • Chris
    Thanks anthdci and oxoman.

I really am torn between hybrid and road. My cardio was pretty good up until the end of last year, so I think I'll be OK getting back into it in that sense.

My main concern with a road bike is the whole getting used to cycling thing again - with smaller tyres and less grip I do have concerns I'll just spend a month falling off! If that is not the case and it's easy to get back into, perhaps I should go for a road bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want a Hybrid, this is cheaper and better than the Pinnacle
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... 13-2014-20
    It's also very adaptable doing anything from a fast road hybrid (fit some skinny lighter road tyres) to 29er mountain bike (fit some knobblies).

I have a hybrid set up for fast road use, have been riding it for nearly 5 years, no strong urge to swap to a road bike, I have the bars set low and the riding position is pretty much the same as being on the hoodz of a road bike.

Your stated concerns would be sorted if you got a CX style bike with it's wider tyres and disc brakes but dropped bars, although at that budget it's a squeeze.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • KerSplosh
    KerSplosh Posts: 30
    It depends on where you are. I commute into London each day, and I actually went from a road bike to a commuter/hybrid for precisely the same reasons as some of the posters went from hybrid to road. The more upright riding position makes it far easier for me to look around and feel safer on the hybrid (and not have to slow so much to look around), plus I can fit a rack and panniers to it - which makes the ride far more pleasurable. Not only this, I still have my road bike free from all the niggles of bad roads and wear - ready for a weekend ride when I want it - though it is a bit of a squeeze in the flat to have 2 bikes (each - my wife also has the same).
  • anthdci
    KerSplosh wrote:
    The more upright riding position makes it far easier for me to look around and feel safer on the hybrid (and not have to slow so much to look around),

I have never understood this point of view, I can see around me perfectly find when riding on the hoods and filtering between two lanes of stationary/ slow moving traffic
    Chris wrote:
    My main concern with a road bike is the whole getting used to cycling thing again - with smaller tyres and less grip I do have concerns I'll just spend a month falling off!

The skinny tyres only provide a lack of grip if you are off road. If you are on road you won't lose grip. All the fatter tyres will do will sap energy and slow you down. Get some decent ones like Conti Gatorskins and you'll have decent puncture protection too.

The only time you might be at risk of falling off is when you get clipless pedals, which if you get into it you will want fairly quickly. Any falls from that will be comedy slow motion unable to clip out at lights though so the only damage will be to your pride.
  • Chris
    Thanks for all the help thus far.

Do you think I'd be better with something like this, then?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-2015-road-bike-ec070568

I did love the look of the B'Twin Triban 500 (and had been recommended that by Jeff) but I don't live near a Decathlon shop and would like ideally to buy locally, so I can get help with setup and if any parts are faulty.
  • anthdci
    Good choice, the allez is a good place to start road cycling.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Quite a lot of Evans Stores are staffed by really enthusiastic and knowledgeable cyclists - unfortunately many have absolute idiots behind the till. Yours LBS will almost certainly have more experienced and better staff - so unless you know and trust the guys at your nearest Evans I would give them a miss. Yours LBS will be more expensive - but if you want advice, help, and tips then go to the store where you can have faith in the shop-person and pay that little bit more for the privilege. And once you have a relationship with any Bike Shop you start saving because they can steer you away from expensive alternatives, advise against false economies, and even tell you "buy it on ebay - I didn't say that"!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Maybe have a think about what the pleasure part of riding would be? You (the OP) mentioned road bikes so if that's what your heart really wants go for it.

Road bikes due to the shifters tend to be lower spec for a given price point becoming more apparent as the budget gets tighter.

Ie if you really want disk brakes hybrid is more realistic, at £450.

Any bike will mange a 10 mile commute just need to decide in which way
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I got a hybrid mainly because as my first bike I couldn't afford two at once, and wanted a bike that could take panniers etc, would be good in winter, and was versatile enough to take me to work but would also allow me to do other leisure things like forest rides and such.

A hybrid I suppose is a "jack of all trades", good at most things, but excellent at none. When I can afford another I will get a road bike to keep alongside it, as I'd like one for "best" :) - but if I were back starting again, I think I'd still get the hybrid first or maybe a CX.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava