Greetings... Surly pannier commuter build help!

Rocket 88
Rocket 88 Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in The workshop
Hi there,

I'm a bit of newcomer to cycling, last bike I had was a beat up old Pashley style bike I used to ride to the pub every now and then! I've decided this summer I want to quit taking the tube and buy a decent bike to commute to work, and need some help...

I've been looking at Surly bikes, as recommended by a friend, and so far I like the Cross-Check as I could also ride around parks and paths and comfortably ride the longer distance (25 miles) with a pannier to see my parents, and I like the versatility the frame offers. I would like to buy a frame and build it to a slightly different spec, using a Nexus 8 hub gear with swept back bars for an easier riding position, complete with fenders and perhaps a rack.

I'm looking at sticking to the same standard spec only changing the bars, drive-train and fitting more heavy duty road tyres. Are there any considerations I should be making when adjusting this bike to my needs? Comments or suggestions (in Lehman terms please!) are very welcome...

Cheers

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    900-1000 quid is quite a lot of money to spend on an entry level bike. they are very cool bikes, look great, and will take a huge pounding but for commuting I would go for something less bomb-proof but with disc brakes, road wheels/tyres, simple gearing you can fix yourself, and flat bars.

Steel frames can be great and many swear by them - but they are heavy and if any amount of carrying is involved (I do two bridges and half a dozen flights of stairs per commute) something a bit lighter will be noticed quickly.

On the wheels - you don't want to get heavier duty than a cross-check standard spec you want to get lighter. The cross-check I rode had 41mm tyres that flew over sand or off-road - but for a road bike you want 28mm or less
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I have to somewhat echo the comments above. I bought a couple of Shimano hub gears (both Alfine, one 8-speed and one 11-speed) and honestly they're a bit heavy at the back, especially on a steel bike with panniers. You'd be better off with a 1x8 chainset or similar, in my view; they're lighter, more common and cheaper. Hub gears have also got internal drag, and I just couldn't shake that feeling.

Generally speaking it's cheaper to buy a complete bike than to build it from components unless you can get lucky with sourcing, so I'd look for a complete bike if you can. The Cotic Roadrat is pretty similar in spec to the Cross Check but it sounds like it's ready to go for you, plus it's got discs which are just better.

Unlike imatfaal I'd probably keep the wheels as they are if you're intending to hack around parks etc.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I think the Cross Check is a great bike, especially if you think you might get into touring. I've looked at it myself but opted to stick with my existing frame until it breaks.

It is pretty heavy duty as others have said but if you're not too concerned with setting Strava segment times then it's perfectly OK. It's worth remembering that, in the event of a puncture, swapping tubes on hub geared bikes is a little more tricky than with derailleurs.

Others have suggested disc brakes but if you think you might do touring then it's worth sticking to older technology as you'll struggle in some places to find the newer stuff.

The Long Haul Trucker is another popular choice; for many it's displaced the Dawes Galaxy for the default steel touring bike. I think you can get it in a disc variant as well.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}