Carrera Vengeance super low budget upgrade build

Ashfish
Ashfish Posts: 8
edited April 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Hi there all, I have owned this Vengeance from new but have not really touched it for a couple of years after dislocating my shoulder twice in a fortnight (neither time due to riding :x )
I wanted to put it on a diet as in original spec it was rather heavy.
Been working on this for a few months on a non existent budget, finally managed to get it to a point I am happy with.
DSC_0092_zpsk5wqu4uj.jpg
DSC_0096_zpsndimd4nt.jpg
DSC_0095_zpsjkd6ugnk.jpg
DSC_0093_zpsaliwmotu.jpg

So for the upgraded spec
2nd Hand Hope XC front hub with new bearings on Mavic 771 rim (free)
Conti Trail King 2.2 £10
New Ritchey WCS rear wheel with Conti Speed King already fitted (free)
2nd Hand Easton Monkey Lite Carbon Bars (free)
new Bontrager lock on grips £15
2nd Hand SR Suntour Axion 100mm travel forks (free)
Boardman Saddle (free)
New GXP bottom bracket (free)
2nd Hand Sram S1000 cranks with RaceFace 32T narrow/wide £54
New Sram 8 speed chain (free)
New RSP chain Director £15 (bought before I got hold of the new cranks and narrow/wide to try and keep the chain on the original middle chainring without a front mech)
Original 8 speed Shimano cassette and alivio rear mech
Original Shimano hydraulic brakes
Original seat post and steam
2nd hand spd setup including pedals, cleats and Shimano MT70 shoes £48
Overall weight comes in at 11.1Kg

Next plans are for 10 speed rear when funds allow, or I can source one by barter/trade. Possibly a new shorter stem but I need to spend some more time on the bike to decide, I still haven't decided on steerer height yet and a lighter seatpost as the original is a heavy lump of steel.

Would love some opinions on the bike and all suggestions are happily received.

Comments

• Ashfish
    Ashfish Posts: 8
    Well I had a slightly eventful ride out today as the split pin in the front calliper broke and my brake pads fell out about 2.5 miles from home. That slowed me up rather a lot and led to a very careful ride home. Will get some new pads sorted tomorrow.

I have also worked out today its a 2010 spec bike, I really couldn't remember when I bought it.