Shimano Ultegra brakes

baroid
baroid Posts: 87
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi
I have just fitted a Shimano Ultegra groupset and the brakes don’t seem as positive as my old brakes which were SRAM Rival. I have Shimano brake shoes now were as before I had Clarkes triple compound brake shoes do you think this could be the difference, I have Ultegra or Dura Ace wheels

Appreciate any advice

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    depends how you have set them up. ultegra brakes should be good.

which ones are they though - 6700, 6800? and do the levers match i.e. same series as there have been cable pull changes over the series
  • fortyone
    fortyone Posts: 166
    I use Campag levers on Ultegra calipers and they work perfectly. Am not taken in by the 10 or 11 speed caliper nonsense, just manufacturer marketing.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I recently fitted 6800 to my bike and found the brakes terrible, vague and powerless basically so i changed the pads to Clarks tri-compounds and the difference is huge, theyre so much better now, nice initial bite and better modulation. I havent tried them in the wet but I'm guessing they'll be fine as the clarks pads are supposed to be good in wet conditions.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use last year's Ultegra brakes and shifters but with some carbon pads (may be Swisstop, may be something generic out of the the big box of stuff in the workshop) on the summer bike in the Abruzzo mountains (very high descending speeds). Work really nicely, no problems at all.

Maybe try a change of pads and see what happens?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • baroid
    baroid Posts: 87
    Hi

Thanks for your comments, I think I am going to try some Clarks triple compound blocks ans see if that improves thinks. I get the impression that the Shimano ones are too hard.

Baroid
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    I have the Ultegra brakes c/w Swisstop blocks and they are fantastic - no issue with them at all :-)
  • hector88
    hector88 Posts: 44
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    I have the Ultegra brakes c/w Swisstop blocks and they are fantastic - no issue with them at all :-)

Ditto on both points.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm on some old old 105 calipers I found in a wheelie bin. They always been OK but I upgraded to swiss stop soft compound pads when I got my new wheels a couple of weeks ago. Superb braking - best I've had on a road bike. Can the brand / age of the caliper really make much difference?