New bike for the wife approx £300 - Hybrid/ New or 2nd?

parmsuk73
parmsuk73 Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've been looking for a bike for the wife to go out for rides with me and the kids around paths, trails and around the local roads. She wants one of those Pendleton Bikes but think i've convinced her that she should consider a hybrid bike to be more practical and versatile.

She is pretty short 5ft 1" and is not a regular bike user currently i.e. generally only when we go somewhere we will hire a bike for her.

Want to go this weekend and purchase one, however looking for some recommendations on this forum for the budget that I have in mind.

I've come across looking at 2nd hand bikes a Trek Neko SL 2013 16" which is unused and new for £300 (originally £600+) which is only 6 months old. It fits her size, she can can be on the sandle and still touch the floor. Thinking that this might be a good buy instead of something that is £300?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    At 5'1" you want to be looking for a small sized bike, something like a 14" or you'll be playing with components to try and shorten it for her.

This would be a good option
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015
    Totally bomb proof build and fairly flexible on usage, the V-brake model is a bit cheaper but only available in a 16" frame.

Touching the floor when in the saddle is not the way to check for size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.