Shimano Ultegra brake set screw

MGC2012
MGC2012 Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Help,

I have managed to round off the set screw used to centre the brake calipers. This a new set of Ultegra BR6810 direct mount calipers and I can only assume the screw is made of cheese as I am using a good quality 2mm allen key. I have adjusted the set screw on Campag brakes on numerous occasions without any issue.

Any tips on how to remove the now useless screw and also where I can find a replacement?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Try SJS for a replacement or your local engineers supplier,
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-spares ... g1/#page=2

Shimano code no. Y8BW11100

As to removing the mashed screw try a small flat bladed screw driver or screw extractor.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    MGC2012 wrote:
    Help,

Any tips on how to remove the now useless screw and also where I can find a replacement?

Another option is to try using a Torx key - T8 is equivalent to 2.3mm or a T10 at 2.74mm. These have some biting surfaces that may allow you to get some purchase on the recalcitrant allen bolt, particularly if you give the torx key a persuasive tap with a hammer to bed the head of the key into the rounded off bolt.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    ^^^This. And squeeze the calipers together by the pads to take the pressure off the screw when trying to undo it.