Mixing Shimano parts

rouleur23
rouleur23 Posts: 175
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi
trying to put together a bike for a pal but using spares etc. I assume I can mix Ultegra with Sora? That is to say, an Ultegra rear der' with a Sora compact 50-34 crankset and a Deore (I think it is Deore) 12-27 cassette. The shifters are Ultegra. The chain is a 10 speed that is new and came with an Ultegra groupset. I am hoping that the teeth on Shimano ranges are compatible. :?:
Thanks in advance
:lol:
R23

Comments

• woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    Are the rear mech, cassette and shifters all the same speed? If so you should be fine.

Chains widths vary marginally between speeds but can often be interchangable.
    Sprocket spacing on the cassette and cable pull ratio can vary between speeds. Can be more problematic to interchange, some have success, probably easier to avoid.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • rouleur23
    woolwich wrote:
    Are the rear mech, cassette and shifters all the same speed? If so you should be fine.

Chains widths vary marginally between speeds but can often be interchangable.
    Sprocket spacing on the cassette and cable pull ratio can vary between speeds. Can be more problematic to interchange, some have success, probably easier to avoid.

Yes all the same speed. Big thanks for the reply

Paz
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    rouleur23 wrote:
    Hi
    trying to put together a bike for a pal but using spares etc. I assume I can mix Ultegra with Sora? That is to say, an Ultegra rear der' with a Sora compact 50-34 crankset and a Deore (I think it is Deore) 12-27 cassette. The shifters are Ultegra. The chain is a 10 speed that is new and came with an Ultegra groupset. I am hoping that the teeth on Shimano ranges are compatible. :?:
    Thanks in advance
    R23

It depends which Ultegra and which Sora? 11 speed, 10 speed, 9 speed?

In general chainsets don't have a 'speed' so are interchangeable, some rear mechs can work some won't because of cable pull changes.
  • rouleur23
    rouleur23 wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks in advance
    R23

It depends which Ultegra and which Sora? 11 speed, 10 speed, 9 speed?

In general chainsets don't have a 'speed' so are interchangeable, some rear mechs can work some won't because of cable pull changes.

Hi
    all are 10 spd. Levers and cassettes. Cheers for the nod
    Paz