MTB Storage.....how do you store yours?

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited May 2015 in MTB general
Hi all,

At the expense of opening myself up to witty answers.

How do you store your bikes?

I live in a rented apartment and the spare bedroom is my workshop/storage area. No where else to store the bikes, other than a balcony and this will never happen.

Wall art would be good, but no chance of getting this past her.

Now I am wanting more room in the spare room, and currently lean two bikes together against the wall. Obviously a lot of area is taken up by this, not to mention marks on the wall. Plus room for spare wheels tires and spares in general.

Wanting to build a storage/workbench unit out of flowtube Both bikes suspended halfway up the wall with a work bench underneath.

No drilling into metal studs etc win win situation.

Now here is the question that will open up debate or ridicule. Right way around or upside down? Both are HT's. Reason for the question is I am not getting on with my suspension, and don't like the sticthion.

Thinking about it, if bikes are always stored on the wheels then the fork oil will always be in a pool at the bottom of the lowers, when you go on rides etc, this will never be transferred to bushings or fork seals. Thus the foam o rings dry out quicker. But storing it upside down should in theory keep everything lubed?

Correct me if I am wrong in my way of thinking, but why do we add fork oil for it always to be pooled in the bottom of the lowers, thus lubricating nothing.

This will help me with my design on how to store the bikes. And just a general curiosity question more than anything.

So I would hope for some replies not saying you have OCD etc haha.

Seems like logic in my mind, but maybe I am missing something?

Comments

• Also I am not trying to skimp on servicing as it is quite therapeutic for me. But this is just a general curiosity question.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    A good question that I would like to hear opinions on as well.
    I currently have 5 bikes in my garage and they take up a lot of floorspace. I am thinking of hanging them against the walls and have been wondering about the oil in the forks.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You need a solution that won't cause micro scratches.
  • You need a solution that won't cause micro scratches.

:lol: heaven forbid a mountain bike should get a micro scratch

My bikes live in a shed with ground anchors in individual stands (gear up grandstand). In the OP's situation where you can't put any fixings in the wall or anything I'd be trying to get the bikes vertical as if they were on a wall hanger -

Something like one of those extendable shower curtain rails pushed against the walls with hooks off it to support the bikes front wheel, with the rear on the floor so that you aren't trying to put the bikes full weight on the rail.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    About eight in the conservatory, half a dozen in the shed.
    One day I might even get a padlock for it.

Storing upside down will allow any air in the brakes to migrate to the calipers so the brakes will feel spongy initially until it returns to the reservoirs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Here's mine...

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607&start=40#p19389400

I used old climbing gear into a couple of pretty basic B&Q ground rings for the wall anchors.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Store mine upright ready to roll. Should be moving soon and building a mancave/workshop on the back of the garage so road bike on the wall an the other two wall mounted on the back wheel to save space.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Similar situation to you, but our spare room has been taken over by an angry midget. It's all out on our balcony now. Standing against the far end with or without a tarp depending on how much something might be used/the weather/how lazy I am. Smaller jobs get done out there too, bigger ones get done in the kitchen when possible.

This has a lot of good inspiration, even if it's in foreign (the title is "Bikes in apartments" and people just post up pics and info about how they store things):
    http://happymtb.org/forum/read.php/1/483001/page=1
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Hung from the seat on the rafters of the garage. Probably not ideal, but keeps the floor space usable.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • Them damn microscratches taking over everything haha

Some interesting and genius solutions. As I can't drill in the ceiling or wall, that rules most of the options out. I could and fill it later but that seems too easy :D.

Really like the flowtube, it's like mechano for adults, plus you can always adjust to suit. Been watching it being used in work and after being a skeptic of it at first I can see it's actually very good.

Thinking of making a small work bench the width and length of one bike then extend some support poles up so I can have one bike "on the wall" (but actually its on the bench floating above work space) then the other one to the side of the bench front wheel hooked high so its vertical and resting on the rear wheel.

Also the other question about the suspension. is that just going OTT or am I partly correct? I know the breaks would be spongy to start with.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    When I lived in a small flat I used to take wheels off, fit 2 home made axles so no damage possible to dropouts, 2 spacers in brakes and loosen stem bolts and set bars fore and aft. It then went into the box the bike came in (which needed a slot cut out of one end because bars were wider than stock) and slid under the bed.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Bikehut wall hanger in the garage to save space.

1402367492.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    I store mine on a work stand from Aldi (€30) and tilt and raise it to get it outta the way.
    Loads of room for other stuff and keeps it off the floor and doesn't mark walls etc.

20150412_192645_zpsntj4auz2.jpg
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,023
    Hi all,
    Correct me if I am wrong in my way of thinking, but why do we add fork oil for it always to be pooled in the bottom of the lowers, thus lubricating nothing.

Oil in forks is for damping and slows the extension of the fork after it has been compessed, otherwise next time you land a GnArLeY drop you'll end up twice as hgh as you pogostick down the trail.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Aldi. Bike stand in the downstairs loo with all my bike gear. I have an alarmed shed with a ground anchor and cemented bike pole but still prefer the bike in the house as I've seen first hand those measures being rendered obsolete in 30 mins and under.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Don B wrote:
    I store mine on a work stand from Aldi (€30) and tilt and raise it to get it outta the way.
    Loads of room for other stuff and keeps it off the floor and doesn't mark walls etc.

20150412_192645_zpsntj4auz2.jpg

A mountain bike, a Les Paul and a Strat. All the essential food groups covered.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    A mountain bike, a Les Paul and a Strat. All the essential food groups covered.
    Haha yes, bit of a man cave going on. An amp and a couple more in there too :D

To the OP, I saw Lidl were also doing the stands recently, they're excellent for the money.
    I was going to buy a basic one from chainreaction or similar for about £80 but the Aldi one was there at the perfect time