headset spacer removal

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited April 2015 in Workshop
So whilst trying to lower my handlebars by dropping down a couple of spacers i couldn't get the headset to tighten properly.the only way i got it to tighten was to actually take a spacer out completely and use one less.the headset tightened down perfectly with no play in it but just wondering will this be safe or do i need to get all the spacers in for it to be right.
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Something is wrong. Your stack height should stay the same. IE no spares. Just the same parts in a different order.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    Yeah i was thinking that too but no matter what i did there was always a bit of play in it.....until i took 1 spacer out completely.am i gonna have to go back at it again until i get it right or will it be ok to ride with as it is.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Impossible. As you would not be able to preload the bearings. Even if it was correct you should sill beable go preload the beRing with the extra spacer.

You have put something together wrong. Or found a part that has been hiding from you and just appeared.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    As per the above - all you have done is take parts off, rearrange the order in a logical and correct way then put then back on. So long as you haven't removed or added anything there can be no way anything has changed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    One fewer spacers makes no sense, especially if you were lowering the stem. Star nut or expander bung?