Cyclocross

dombhoy
dombhoy Posts: 147
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi im intersted in taking up cyclocross and i realise this isnt the best time of the year but want to ride my local woods and paths with a view to trying racing in the winter months, I dont have a big budget so something around£800 is what im looking at, the bike needs to be comfortable racing as well as cruising aroung woods and paths.
What do you recommend?

Comments

• iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I'm thinking of the CaadX myself- you can get the Tiagra version for around £800, and the reviews seem positive. The wheels are probably a good thing to upgrade for racing though.

I'm leaning towards the Caad because of the supposed quality of cannondale alloy frames, but mostly because of the rack and fork mounting options for pressing it into commuting and riding in utterly atrocious conditions when I wouldn't even want to take my road bike in winter mode.
    I would also use it for 'cross racing during cross season though.
  • If you live near an Evans shop, pop down and see what you make of the Pinnacle Arkose Two 2015, it comes with TRP Hylex hydraulic brakes (which I believe are marketed as being better than the far more common TRP Spyres that normally come on sub-£1K cyclocross bikes).

They recently dropped to £750, plus you could trade in a "banger" to drop the outlay closer to £700.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'd avoid the Arkose for cross. The gear shifters are on the bar ends to accommodate the brake only levers. The brakes may be good but that's a faff for cross.

CaadX a good choice.

Personally the Planet X London Road Rival 22 is a steal. £799 and you can do anything on it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    Check at Cube CrossRace. Good value for money with the current exchange rate you should be able to find good deals (especially now crosser are in sale).
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I'm thinking of the CaadX myself- you can get the Tiagra version for around £800, and the reviews seem positive. The wheels are probably a good thing to upgrade for racing though.

I'm leaning towards the Caad because of the supposed quality of cannondale alloy frames, but mostly because of the rack and fork mounting options for pressing it into commuting and riding in utterly atrocious conditions when I wouldn't even want to take my road bike in winter mode.
    I would also use it for 'cross racing during cross season though.
    I saw a new Tiagra CaadX in my work carpark last week. It does look very nice in the flesh.
  • dombhoy
    okay thanks for the responses, ill look at all the bikes mentioned i really like the look of the planet x london road and i have a caad10 and love it so will definately look at the caadx also.
  • apple15
    apple15 Posts: 61
    sent you a pm
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
  • dombhoy
    I dont think the pm has worked
  • apple15
    apple15 Posts: 61
    Sorry about that, Ive got a planet x dirty disco for sale if your interested, only had it since January and very little use, it is a 56/large frame/sram rival 22 and in very good condition.
    would accept £700 for it.
    .......__o
    .......\<,
    ....( )/ ( )...
  • dombhoy
    it sounds perfect but i cant buy it sadly as i wont have the funds until july/august but thanks for the offer and good luck with the sale
  • Where are you Apple?