Vigil and Die In

surrey_commuter
surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
Just a heads up that Stop the Killing are having a protest this evening on the North Side of Lambeth Bridge. In a rather civilised fashion they are meeting at 6:00 for a 6:30pm start. I assume they will block the junction s this gives you a chance to join in or avoid the chaos.

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Ironically, the easiest way for me to avoid this is to ride home via Elephant and Castle, and then Vauxhall Cross...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    On the roundabout?
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Rode through about 5.45. A few cyclists and tons of fuzz. A cabbie did a deliberate veer across in front of me just as I was going onto the roundabout and came inches from taking me out. Coppers just watched, of course. RIP Moira Gemmell.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    yeah, I rode past there too, about ten minutes later than you. Noticed the preponderance of old bill versus cyclists.

I had just had some bloke ride into my back wheel as I stopped fairly quickly with a group of other riders to let someone across the zebra crossing along there. He hit my rear wheel hard and went down hard grazing his knuckles, knees and forehead and cracking his lid. Me and a couple of female riders checked he was okay, stayed with him for about five minutes then left him to it when he assured us he was okay.
    FCN = 4
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    MrSweary wrote:
    Rode through about 5.45. A few cyclists and tons of fuzz. A cabbie did a deliberate veer across in front of me just as I was going onto the roundabout and came inches from taking me out. Coppers just watched, of course. RIP Moira Gemmell.

cabbies are scum. I had one of them telling me I should be riding in the bike lane over Wandsworth bridge on Monday. Great start to the week so I gave him my standard salute !
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • daver1
    daver1 Posts: 78
    fat_tail wrote:
    cabbies are scum. I had one of them telling me I should be riding in the bike lane over Wandsworth bridge on Monday. Great start to the week so I gave him my standard salute !

What all of them?

It would be sad if a cab driver wrote all cyclists off as scum after getting their cab damaged by one trying to filter through a narrow gap or experienced a similar act of stupidity.
  • fat_tail
    fat_tail Posts: 786
    DaveR1 wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

What all of them?

It would be sad if a cab driver wrote all cyclists off as scum after getting their cab damaged by one trying to filter through a narrow gap or experienced a similar act of stupidity.

cabbies think they own the roads... they think all that tarmac was handed down to them from their great cabbie grandfather.
    Ridley Fenix SL
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You're thinking of cyclists, mate.

There was also a die in outside Houses of Parliament last night. Quite inconvenient.
  • tgotb
    coriordan wrote:
    There was also a die in outside Houses of Parliament last night. Quite inconvenient.
    Ironically, despite all the chanting and banners, I still haven't the faintest idea what they were protesting about. It may have been worthy, it may have been barmy, but I'm none the wiser. Surely the first aim of any protest should be to make people aware of what your cause actually is...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    DaveR1 wrote:
    fat_tail wrote:

What all of them?

I'm sure there are nice, considerate cabbies who don't use their big, polluting, overpriced vehicles to intimidate other road users - It's just that in over ten years of cycling in London I've never met one.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've come across plenty of ok black cab drivers on the bike and some pretty awful ones. There are so many of them, most of them you don't notice, it's just the ones who do something stupid or dangerous that stand out.

Now, Addison Lee drivers are another matter :wink:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    I have only had one cabbie deliberately push me to the side of the road, and in fairness I was lost and confused and he was very gentle. Stopping to pick up fares can be annoying but they tend to be very aware drivers. Addison Lee on the other had I am convinced deliberately close you off.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    One of the guys in my club is a semi-retired cabbie and a nice bloke - I assume he's considerate towards cyclists, but in fairness I've never seen him driving his cab.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    coriordan wrote:
    You're thinking of cyclists, mate.

Ah, that explains it, went by way of CS7 last night as a result. Had to show those south-of-the-river boys how it's done. :wink:
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    It's true it's an unfortunate stereo type but... Apart from other cyclists, in my experience, cab drivers often do the most unpredictable things.

I'm sure they feel the same way about cyclists... Only difference is we're obviously much more vulnerable on the road.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    TGOTB wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    Ironically, despite all the chanting and banners, I still haven't the faintest idea what they were protesting about. It may have been worthy, it may have been barmy, but I'm none the wiser. Surely the first aim of any protest should be to make people aware of what your cause actually is...

It's so much more effective when it's Chris Boardman, Jon Snow etc on tv/media than a protest that i'm sure is a lot of fun but is effectively ignored, and is just the usual crowd.
  • tgotb
    I don't think last night's protesters were cyclists at all; certainly didn't look like it, and no bikes in evidence...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm sure I saw some bikes - perhaps they were just riding to the event.

They were all holding daffodils
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    coriordan wrote:
    I'm sure I saw some bikes - perhaps they were just riding to the event.

They were all holding daffodils
    On St George's Day? :wink:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk