Eurosport Cycling.tv or?

infopete
infopete Posts: 878
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but no doubt I'll find out.

I have Sky tv primarily to watch Eurosport and to record Eurosport. The other tv I watch tends to be BBC etc.

Sky are just about to push the price up by £3 per month and I think it's time to cancel.

I tried Eurosport on the internet but their "on demand" didn't allow the replaying of cycle races (so I cancelled that).

I've had a quick look at Cycling.tv and it appears to show live cycling and,if you pay, replays of most events.

Should I cancel Sky and move to Cycling.tv or do you have other suggestions?
Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Have a look at Eurosport Player.

http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/
  • infopete
    rafletcher wrote:
    Have a look at Eurosport Player.

http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/

I have but the "catch up" service didn't include cycling or does it now?

• bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    can you not negotiate a better deal with sky and actually reduce your monthly fee?
  • infopete
    bagz3 wrote:
    can you not negotiate a better deal with sky and actually reduce your monthly fee?

It is certainly something I will try.

I'm about to get 100 meg broadband so I was hoping to make more use of the internet. But Sky is very convenient so I'll phone tomorrow.

• w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I'm very soon about to do the same. Be worth having a look at BT's options. They have Eurosport on one of their packages.
    I think it's the entertainment package. Works out at £50 a month but includes the broadband and Phone line rental. I currently pay £50 just for phone and Broadband, Sky is an additional £60 but is hardly used.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm getting a little fed up with Sky now, I used to be an avid football watcher but now I probably only watch 5-6 games a season, if that. The issue is, is that we are now as subscribers propping up the football rights. I like to watch Sky Atlantic, Movies, the odd bit of boxing and golf but primarily the cycling, the mrs has a few programmes she likes but it just seems an awful lot of money, about £800 per annum.
  • infopete
    w00dster wrote:
    I'm very soon about to do the same. Be worth having a look at BT's options. They have Eurosport on one of their packages.
    I think it's the entertainment package. Works out at £50 a month but includes the broadband and Phone line rental. I currently pay £50 just for phone and Broadband, Sky is an additional £60 but is hardly used.

I've signed up to Gigaclear as they provide (or will when they finish digging) fast broadband in rural communities. BT isn't really an option.

I thought the Eurosport option for BT was internet based so you won't be able to record. If Eurosport had a better on demand service it would be a no brainer.

• cyclingfury
    cyclingfury Posts: 676
    infopete wrote:
    w00dster wrote:

I've signed up to Gigaclear as they provide (or will when they finish digging) fast broadband in rural communities. BT isn't really an option.

I thought the Eurosport option for BT was internet based so you won't be able to record. If Eurosport had a better on demand service it would be a no brainer.

BT TV is delivered by broadband. You can get Eurosport (normal and HD), and you can record all channels. If you can live without Sky Sports it's a cheaper option to watch cycling.
    infopete wrote:
    w00dster wrote:

BT TV is delivered by broadband. You can get Eurosport (normal and HD), and you can record all channels. If you can live without Sky Sports it's a cheaper option to watch cycling.

Do you have to go with BT though?

• infopete
    Sky have dropped the price but only for 10 months so I have another 10 months to find an alternative.

:)

• k3vinjam3s
    k3vinjam3s Posts: 266
    I've got a few weeks left with sky before my cancel date after being with them over 10 years. I'm going to use a recordable freebies hd box and kodi/xbmc on my laptop to watch movies and any sport including cycling.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I cancelled Sky Sports many years ago. Resented paying a fortune for the football which I have not interest in watching anyway. Rugby is now on BT Sport so free for me and I don't have time to watch the cricket anymore.

I subscribed to Eurosport Player last year after getting fed up with dodgy internet feeds. They do have videos of races to watch on demand, but they sometimes take a while to appear and are not available for every race.
    For Paris-Roubaix I could not watch it live, so was set to watch the highlights at 10pm. As is the way with Eurosport the highlights suddenly changed to an 11:30pm start, so knowing I could not stay up that late I just watched the final 10km on YouTube.

So all in all it can be annoying but I am willing to live with it for the benefit of a low price and that I am able to watch Eurosport wherever I have WiFi.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Eurosport for all its ills is good value for the cycling.
    The Player feed is good quality even on non fibre.
    Brit Euro is the most annoying thing about them... the amount of ads directed at the Uk market is obviously a cash cow for the Eurosport International... where the ads are FAR fewer. UK people seen as a soft touch and 'mugs' obviously. Also Brit Euro will swan off at a moments notice to Outer Mongolia All Masters Snooker if you are not careful.
    With VPN software on Mozilla you can get to Euro France/Germany etc etc where the on demand videos for past races seem also to be larger in number.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    What about.........

Use a VPN that allows you to appear as if you are using an Italian or Belgian ISP and just live stream from RAI etc. Commentary in another language but the English commentary is usually just background noise.