Ultegra 6800 wheelset which spacers for 10 speed?

aquickone
aquickone Posts: 148
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Just a really quick question as I can't find a sensible answer on Google. I have a set of Ultegra 6800 wheels that currently have an Ultegra 6800 11 speed cassette on them. I have asked a separate question about chain set compatibility on here. This question is what spacers will I need on these wheels to fit a 10 speed 105 cassette. Thanks in advance for any help.
Giant Anthem X1
Eddy Merckx EMX-1
Eddy Merckx AMX-1

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    assume the 11 speed cassette needs no spacer as they are 11 speed wheels.

the 10 speed cassette will likely need one spacer - all you are doing with the spacer is taking up the extra width so the cassette sits tight when it's done up. You could fit two spacers without issue if you wanted.

just check all the sprockets are tight when the cassette is done up and the spacer is correct then
  • aquickone
    Thanks for the quick reply. Which size spacer a 1.8mm?
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • aquickone
    Looking online it looks like the 1.85mm spacer but where on earth do you get one from???
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Firstly why are you fitting a 10 speed 105 cassette?

Secondly, it'll need two spacers. One 1.85mm spacer because the 11 speed freehub is 1.85mm longer. Secondly a 1mm spacer for the 10 speed cassette because Shimano 10 speed cassettes are 1mm narrower than 8/9 speed cassettes so they need a spacer (importantly this does not include Tiagra which has the 1mm spacer built in)

If you are buying the cassette new it will come with the 1mm spacer.
  • aquickone
    Hi, because the bike they are going on as a full 105 group set at the moment and I would need to upgrade a few bits to get it to 11 speed. I will be upgrading it eventually, but want to put those wheels on for the minute. The current wheels are Fulcrum 7's, would they have the right 1mm spacer already or will I need to get one? The only 1.85mm spacer I can find in stock online was from Bike Discount so have ordered that.
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The wheels more than likely came with a spacer, but if it isn't there you'll have to order one.

Chances are the 1mm spacer is already on the existing 105 cassette.
  • aquickone
    The wheels are not brand new but are in very very good condition so do not have the spacer with them so I have ordered one. OK I will see if the 1mm spacer is with the existing cassette when I remove it from the Fulcrum 7's.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • aquickone
    The main reason for getting the wheels was to run tubeless and because they are an upgrade on the Fulcrum 7's.
    Giant Anthem X1
    Eddy Merckx EMX-1
    Eddy Merckx AMX-1
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    petra cycles sell spacers etc - good source of hard to find spare parts
  • Rightarmbad
    Rightarmbad Posts: 216
    Just use a single cog spacer taken from a ten speed shimano cassette.
    It will take the place of the 1mm and the 11 to 10 speed spacer.

Do not do this with a Tiagra cassette with a built in 1mm spacer.