Electronic Gear Shifting

eshift1
eshift1 Posts: 3
edited May 2015 in MTB general
Hi All!

I'm currently designing a bespoke electronic gear shifting system for a customer who has limited thumb mobility, as a result of a serious accident a couple of years ago. I'm focusing purely on the front mech and left shifter at this point as it’s the customer’s left hand that is affected. The system will utilise the existing front mech and be servo operated via a push button shifter. The system will incorporate a micro controller and be powered from a lightweight rechargeable battery.

Although this project was initially started to find a solution for an individual, as the design progresses and I research the subject further it does seem like there is a gap in the market for this type of system. Certainly one which is more reasonably priced than the current systems available from manufacturers such as Shimano.

Would you agree? Is this something you would be interested in? Have you suffered an injury yourself which affects your ability to comfortably change gear whilst riding?

I have created a really quick survey which will literally take less than 2 minutes to complete and I would really appreciate if you guys could give me your input. Please follow the link below.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RDJ6CC8

Any additional comments you would like to make or views you would like to share on the subject are also greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time :)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Does the price relate to the front mech, the shifter, or the whole lot including batteries and both mechs etc?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why not just adapt a Shimano electronic front mech with a more suitable shifter for your customer?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    edited April 2015
    Not to be a dick, because it is an interesting little project, but I know a guy who has limited use of an arm now so rides a 1x10 setup. No need for a front shifter at all.

Also has a device to control both brakes together.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, 1x with a range expander or 11 speed and no need for a left shifter at all, sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Using 1x10 or 1x11 wouldn't get the desired survey hits though ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • eshift1
    eshift1 Posts: 3
    Hi

njee20, the price relates to a complete (front) system, shifter, servo mod for the front mech and the battery.

RockmonkeySC, that is a good idea, but I wanted to keep the price down as much as possible and was worried about interfacing with front mech with regards to the micro-controller being used. I will give it some further thought though.

Peat, The Rookie and CitizenLee, I know, I know, that was one of my first thoughts, but my customer was adamant he wanted to keep 3 rings up front, old school I guess! And no not as many survey hits either, but then it would be an even shorter survey! ;)

Thanks for all of your responses and taking the time to complete the survey, really appreciated!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Adapting an XTR di2 shifter will be far cheaper than developing a new one. Just use the switch gear out of the shimano shifter and re-design the actual lever then there are no electronics to worry about.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Im a left arm amputee (Motorcycle accident in 2001) and about to go 1x10 with a 42T cassette range expander on the back and a 32T NW front chain ring, about £80 for the two items.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Im a left arm amputee (Motorcycle accident in 2001) and about to go 1x10 with a 42T cassette range expander on the back and a 32T NW front chain ring, about £80 for the two items.

How does it work? I assume you're not riding one handed, so do you have a prosthetic that can be fixed to the bar?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • bigmitch41
    Hi Angus, I ride completely one handed with no prosthetic. I actually still have the arm but after pulling the nerves out of my spinal cord its fairly useless now, so it go's in a sling, I think internal amputee is the word.
    Ive seen and heard of the riders with carbon fiber limbs with clever shock absorbing joints etc and quick release mechanism's for when it go's wrong, very impressive! I ride in local xc races, all day epics and intend to complete the IOM End2End this year, and just recently had my first taste of trail centres over the pond in Scotland at the 7Stanes, that was fun mostly reds and some blacks at Mabie, Kerroughtree, Ae & Dalbeattie! The only adaption being both brake levers on the right hand side, 1x10 should really help things after being 2x10 before.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Angus Young
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Hi Angus, I ride completely one handed with no prosthetic. I actually still have the arm but after pulling the nerves out of my spinal cord its fairly useless now, so it go's in a sling, I think internal amputee is the word.
    Ive seen and heard of the riders with carbon fiber limbs with clever shock absorbing joints etc and quick release mechanism's for when it go's wrong, very impressive! I ride in local xc races, all day epics and intend to complete the IOM End2End this year, and just recently had my first taste of trail centres over the pond in Scotland at the 7Stanes, that was fun mostly reds and some blacks at Mabie, Kerroughtree, Ae & Dalbeattie! The only adaption being both brake levers on the right hand side, 1x10 should really help things after being 2x10 before.

One handed own reds and blacks? Impressive. Both from a technical/physical point of view and from the way that people pick themselves up in the face of adversity. You're doing more than me (and, I suspect, many others here) and I have both arms at my disposal.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Looking at the profile pic he road races motorbikes one-handed as well. :shock:

(line of left arm doesn't appear to lead to handlebar!).

So talk us through the mods for that as well please? Clutch is only ever for pulling away anyway ;) Do you have a similar "Doohan" push button mod (although his was for rear brake not clutch)?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bigmitch41
    The mods are kept a simple as possible, all i need is the clutch lever normally on the left hand bar moving to the right hand bar, this exits the bar end (idea taken from vintage bikes) the front brake was to stay untouched on the right hand side so I have two levers, a quick shifter for up the box and a flat shifter for clutchless down shifts and thats it, I became the first and only one armed rider to race the IOM Mountain course, obtain a replica and 100mph average lap speed, something to be proud of :)

ChurchBends.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/23867449
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's dead good, well done. Do you use a steering damper on the MTB at all?
  • bigmitch41
    Mmm no i dont, I bought a Hopey damper from America when i first started mtb'ing and just couldnt get it to fit, i actually found them really unhelpful and just gave up in the end. Ive since learned to ride without, moving from my hard tail xc bike to my Whyte 129 full suss has been a big step in the right direction, Im slow on the decents but can climb pretty well.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • bigmitch41
    P.s I wouldnt ride my motorbikes without one ;)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Angus Young
    I am such an underachiever! Lol!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    bloody hell. Nice work Mitch!
  • bigmitch41
    Thanks all, sorry for the thread hijack :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Angus Young
    It's very welcome. Interesting story and a lesson in motivation for the rest of us.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Thanks all, sorry for the thread hijack :)

Looks like you're not alone. Fück me, it's even more impressive when you see it in action. Well done guys, heaps of respect...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/thomas-ban ... -2015.html
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Came across the video on FB the other day, awesome achievement, good on you, you are an inspiration.

Paging Cody/Rutland Gav to this thread!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.