Superstar wheelsets (How important are eyelets)?

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Looking at a couple of Superstar wheelsets:

Torn between one set with Sentinel rims (21mm internal, with eyelets) and one with Tactic rims (23mm internal, no eyelets, and a (claimed) 65g lighter total build).

Wider rims make me lean towards the Tactics, but just wondering whether the lack of eyelets makes that one likely to be less durable, as I can imagine the spoke nipples pulling/wearing their way into the aluminium of the rim bed, causing premature slackening of the spokes?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ones without tend to have different cross sections to allow this.

Eyelets can allow nicer/better builds.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Eyelets being present or not does not affect the quality of a wheel build. If the rim is without eyelets then the spoke nipple bed is thicker to compensate.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jimothy78
    OK, thanks both.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Eyelets being present or not does not affect the quality of a wheel build. If the rim is without eyelets then the spoke nipple bed is thicker to compensate.

This ^^^
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They are about as good as you will get for the price.
  • jimothy78
    Bought the Tactic Wheelset last night - £160 with Superstar's current 20% off deal :D

Anyone know roughly how long they take to delivery ready-made wheels?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    They are pointless on my TL28s. I know that much. Must actually send them back today.