Bottom Bracket for DMR Trailstar

OllieTheWelder
OllieTheWelder Posts: 68
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm in the process of building up an old DMR Trailstar into a single speed commuter, I've got the frame but I've got no idea about what the best bottom bracket/ crank set combo would be? I've measured the bottom bracket tube in the frame at 68mm x 35mm (internal diameter). However I've got no idea what length axle I'd need if I went down the square taper route or do I go for a bottom bracket that would accept a three piece crank set?

If anyone could recommend me what the best budget options would be, I'd be eternally grateful :mrgreen:

Thanks, Ollie.
DMR Trailstar

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'd stick an HT2 Deore in. Cheap and simple.
    Square taper axle length depends on the crankset used.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I'd stick an HT2 Deore in. Cheap and simple.
    Square taper axle length depends on the crankset used.

Thanks, Any reason to go for the hollow tech rather than the cheaper square taper shimano style ones like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Alivi ... 5d55ce0d7c

As for working out axle length would I be best purchasing cranks before bottom bracket?
    DMR Trailstar
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Add in the price of a crankset and how much cheaper is it.

HT2 cranks come with a BB, and make things simpler.

Otherwise pick a square taper crank and check what BB axle size it needs. Then buy both.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use a stronglight chainset on my commuter, very light and uses a square taper, all in will cost less than £35
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I use a stronglight chainset on my commuter, very light and uses a square taper, all in will cost less than £35

Sounds perfect, I'll look into that thanks.
    DMR Trailstar