Front Fork Replacement

drewesq
drewesq Posts: 137
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

only second time on here and the first question resulted in success!!

I need to change out my front forks on my 2010 Carrera Vulcan as the lock-out switch is bust and I am told it isn't worth fixing. My LBS has quoted me £109 for a new SR Suntour XCR (which includes fitting) but since they're only £60 I thought I would have a crack myself.

I watched a youtube video and it all looked pretty easy but I am now stuck trying too get the fork out. I have taken the wheel off, the brake caliper off, the stem and bars off and all spacers off, but I have 1 last bit that sits on the frame that seems to be holding the fork on that I can't get off

Sorry if this is crap information, but II hope someone can help...

Andrew :)
Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
Charge Plug 0
Voodoo Bizango 2015
Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
:mrgreen:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Give the top of the fork a whack with a hammer, knocking it down while holding the frame, sometimes they need quite a bang, but use a block of wood so you don't damage the top of the steerer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drewesq
    Here is some links to pictures, sorry but there is something up with photobucket at the moment...

http://1drv.ms/1F29q3R

http://1drv.ms/1F29znM
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    As rookie said, looks like it just needs a bit more force, the black bit on top of the frame is just part of the headset.
  • drewesq
    I tried giving the top steerer tube a really good whack with a rubber mallet but no dice; am I really not hitting it hard enough?
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No shock with a rubber mallet, hence hammer....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick a wheel in and bump the forks up, often loosens the compression ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools