Non rack bike luggage

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited April 2015 in Road general
Hi Guys

Currently, I'm looking for a large saddle pack to carry some stuff in as i need to start doing long rides ('00s of km) and would like to carry a few extra bits of kit and post ride stuff. I also forsee some MTB bikepacking in the future and so would like something that I could use for that too, so it needs to be a tad larger.

I was looking at the alpkit koala as i ve heard of them but there are a few other brands iv e found like apidura (UK) and revelate (US). I'd like to stay british if possible just becasue...

None of my bikes have rack mounting points (not sure how that happened), and they re not really what you want for MTB bikepacking so that is not an option for me

Does anyone have any experience or ideas?
Thanks for your help!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    This may or may not be interesting to you, but I'll give it a go. I use one of these to commute with as it sits really low on my back and is very comfy.

http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en ... 51564.html

Surprising how much you can get in it too.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    How about an old school style saddle bag such as the carradice seat packs. They can carry a fairly large amount of stuff and were (and still are) popular with tourers of old. I imagine they'd be perfect for a weekend away.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Carradice do a range of more modern looking saddle bags as well if you don't want the super old school stuff. Hand made in the UK. I considered that option for touring so did quite a bit of research. Ended up going panniers though.
  • Are you particularly opposed to a large rucksack? I get sweaty back syndrome, but some packs are very good as getting the sweat away an ventilating.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Even with MTB bags I find that the bags hit the back of my lid on the roadie...

Carradice look ok, but I'd worry about them off road a bit and I want to combine

Thanks for your help so far guys
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have an old school Carradice Barley saddle bag for my occasional day long rides. I get rather nostalgic using it; reminds me of my touring / hostelling days in my youth. I wonder how far / fast I'd go with my carbon bike but with 18 year old legs!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Carradice and Revelate user here.

Both have merit, but in your situation (particularly the off-road part), I would head towards the Revelate/Apidura/Alpkit bike-packing direction.

I am favouring my Viscacha more and more these days, but still love the look of a traditional Carradice. Viscacha has seen me fine for unsupported rides of up to 1300km (and if you look at luggage on rides like the Transcontinental, you will see it is a popular choice).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,550
    i used to have a carradice sqr type on my commute bike, it doubled as a giant mudguard and never leaked even in appalling weather
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    This sort of stuff is now available. Never used it but there was a review of a few of these types of things in the latest CTC magazine.
    http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/for-the-r ... cking.html
  • In the past I have used a roll top dry bag, clipped it onto the seat pillar and used a strap to hold it under the saddle.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/?fuseact ... source.y=0