Is my Stumpjumper FSR too small?

19aim82
19aim82 Posts: 11
edited April 2015 in MTB general
I bought a 2007 frame a couple of years ago and built up using bits and pieces - some new some from another bike and I am happy with the result, but I have been suffering pain across the top of my back at shoulder level on my first couple of long rides this year.

As per the attached picture (hopefully - first post so who knows!)I have moved the saddle forward on the rails and it has helped a little, but before I go any further just wondered if I had the right size frame as I do feel a little perched due to the long seat post. My next upgrade was to change the fork from the 100mm travel recon I borrowed from another bike, to a 120mm travel air fork to correct the geometry to standard (120 Stumpjumper) - any thoughts, should I be looking at changing the bike?

I am 5'9" with approximately 33" inside leg (from crotch to floor)

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It looks like you need to angle your brake levers down so your hands are in line with your forearms.
    That should put you in a more comfortable position.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a bigger frame will effectively push the saddle back I doubt you want a bigger one.

As stated your brake levers are rotated too high this rolls your wrists back and loads up your arm and shoulders.

You could fit riser bars to lift the grips up a bit which may help.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It looks too small to me.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I have that bike in large but with a 50mm stem, and I'm six foot - it fits me fine. I run it with a 140mm fork to slacken it out a bit, bb isn't too high even like that. Enjoy the ride.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    What size is the frame ??
  • 19aim82
    Its a medium frame, so it should be about right as far as I can understand.

However by using lots of non-standard parts to build up, and not riding one from a bike shop, I have never had a feel for it out of the bike shop. I test rode a 2nd hand trek fuel (18.5" frame) a long while back and seem to remember being sat back a bit further, less weight on the handlebars and feeling more 'in' the bike, rather than on top of it.

Had thought about shortening the stem from the current 100mm fitted. Do you think the fork travel length will have a significant impact on the overall geometry? +20mm travel = handlebar height +20mm?
  • 19aim82
    Anyone else got some pictures of themselves on a stumpjumper to compare?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Is that a small frame? It looks tiny. At 5'9" you're most likely needing a medium or large.
    The forks are too short for the frame as well which drops the front end and puts more weight through your arms, I think that frame should have a 140mm fork.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Is that a small frame? It looks tiny. At 5'9" you're most likely needing a medium or large.
    The forks are too short for the frame as well which drops the front end and puts more weight through your arms, I think that frame should have a 140mm fork.

He says its medium frame apparently...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Move the saddle back and fit some riser bars or longer forks, its a short head tube frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    Move the saddle back and fit some riser bars or longer forks, its a short head tube frame.

The right length forks would get the bars to the correct height
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852

2007 Stumpies were equipped with either 120mm or adjustable 100-140mm forks, depending on the model.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    By the angle of the CS you can see the fork is too short, or this bike has a very low BB.

When I first looked at this I thought it was a small frame or a very big bloke.

Put a 50mm stem on it and it would fit me and I'm only 5' 5"
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • 19aim82
    Thanks for the feedback. It has a medium sticker on the frame, not measured to check though. But as many have said, it is only a 100mm recon fork, borrowed from a previous build. Currently on the lookout for a used 120-140mm air fork to get the travel and lighten up the front end. Manitou marvel currently on ebay, bit heavier than ideal but r they any good for xc and occasional trail riding?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It looks short to me.

Don't move your brake levers unless you want to - plenty of people advocate running them flatter, puts your weight further back when braking, rather than pitching you forward. I like mine flatter.
  • 19aim82
    looking at a coupke of second hand fork options as got a limited budget, currently seen a fairly old fox float rl130 or a suntour epicon 120. Any thoughts? Don't want to spend a lot in case i still have issues with fit.
  • 19aim82
    Thanks for the feedback, I have fitted the 120mm travel epicons and did 20 miles round the hills with no upper back ache and the position felt much better too.

I have got a short stem and carbon handlebar on the way (SRAM truativ) which should further help reduce the reach to the bars.

One added bonus of the epicon fork is the weight loss of about 1kg. Again really helps when lifting the front over obstacles and changing direction so very pleased with my homemade stumpjumper now.

Now to do some more riding and wear stuff out for future upgrades - fitting hydraulic brakes and changing the 3x8 transmission to something more modern.