Genesis high Lattitude 1x10 to 2x10?

ben123
ben123 Posts: 10
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
I just bought a 2013 genesis high latitude that comes with 1 x 10 gearing. I want to turn it into an tourer / adventure / hybrid bike. no panniers.
What is the easiest/ best/ cheapest way to get two chain rings up front (not sure if frame 3x10 compatible) ?

The stock crank is Truvativ Firex Single (32 tooth) with GIGAXP BB (which Ive heard is not very robust). So new double crankset (approx 32 - 48 tooth) of similar quality to the stock Firex. Any suggestion please?
I'll obviously need a new front derailleur (bottom pull, 29.8mm clamp), shift lever and probably new chain.
Any suggestion please?
Could any one guess if I'll need a new longer cage derailleur (currently a medium cage)?

Also, I will be switching to a rigid fork. I think a steel fork would be best, but you can not get steel 29er forks with a tapered head tube (the frame is tapered head tube 1 1/8 - 1.5).
Does anyone have any experience with the reducing headsets / spacers? Any negatives apart from the aesthetics of a massive head tube and skinny fork crown combination?

Sorry if my question are a bit vague, I just don't want to buy components that won't work together.
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it can do 2x10 it can do 3x10.

Are there cable stops on the frame? If not you won't be doing it!

Have a look at the cranks, they will probably take a second larger ring on the outside, if the single ring is on the outside you'll probably need new cranks, their are lots of different Firex.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.