Whyte vs. Giant

Backinthesaddle
Backinthesaddle Posts: 10
edited May 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking for some advice on new purchase.
Narrowed hybrid choice down to Whyte Caledonia or Giant Roam 0
Similar spec have had Giant for long time, not familiar with Whyte - can anybody give some advice. Whyte appears slightly better but is it worth the extra £125?

Also would you advise use of cleats rather than standard pedals?

Bike will be used on cycle paths, trails, but nothing too hardcore.
Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would get the Whyte out of those two, but as you have asked (and want a hybrid with suspension), you should get the Giant.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2014

Do you have British Cycling membership? 10% off that if you do.

FWIW, for your use, I'd avoid suspension. It adds nothing but weight at this point (perhaps all points with hybrids).
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    That Giant is pretty heavy. And the Whyte wont be much better. As above, you will get a much lighter bike if you get one without suspension and that Boardman is an absolute gem and you can fit much wider tyres for some comfort if you want.

If you want something to go more comfortably over bumpier sections, you would be better off looking at a mountain bike than a hybrid - for some reason the hybrid tag just seems to allow them to put a bigger price tag on lower spec parts... Something like a 29inch wheel mountain bike like this: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p5 ... CE-29-2014 would be much better - reba forks seal the deal.
  • Anonymous
    Excuse my earlier sarcasm, it was uncalled for :oops:

For the type of riding you are looking to do, the Boardman is the type of bike best suited (for most people).
    There is no point in getting front suspension which is heavy and unnecessary.
    There is even less point in getting a mountain bike. Its just as heavy as the two in your shortlist, and has less suitable gears/tyres.

Try clipping in if you fancy it, but it sounds a bit overkill for the use you seem to be describing.
    I would use the bike a bit first and go from there.
  • apreading
    The moutain bike wont be as heavy as the two in OP's list - it will have MUCH lighter forks and suspension that actually works. There dont seem to be any suspension hybrids with forks actually worth having...
  • Anonymous
    Theres not much in it weight wise (12.5kg v 13kg?, as opposed to about 10kg for the Boardman or similar), and considering most people do not need suspension on a hybrid at all, the fact an MTB might have half decent/lighter suspension (but much worse gears/tyres) seems irrelevant.

Suspension is for going fast over rough ground isn't it?
    If you are not going over rough ground (real bumps, not just 'gravelly') its not required, and if you encounter a pothole, just slow down, steer around it or swear.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    My missus has the woman's equivalent of the Caledonian. It's well put together and does the job well enough.

I tried to talk her into the Boardman equivalent but she was adamant she wanted the forks (she is prone to muscle fatigue and pain) as a softener to track riding.

If you are fixed on a hybrid with suspension then I would recommend the Whyte but if you can get by without the forks then go for the Boardman.
  • apreading
    Carbonator wrote:
    Theres not much in it weight wise (12.5kg v 13kg?, as opposed to about 10kg for the Boardman or similar), and considering most people do not need suspension on a hybrid at all, the fact an MTB might have half decent/lighter suspension (but much worse gears/tyres) seems irrelevant.

Suspension is for going fast over rough ground isn't it?
    If you are not going over rough ground (real bumps, not just 'gravelly') its not required, and if you encounter a pothole, just slow down, steer around it or swear.

No, no no... That MTB has waaay better forks (Reba compared to some suntour junk with coil springs) AND BETTER gears (XT/SLX compared to Deore/LX), better wheels (XT hubs) and better brakes. I really dont know what you are on about...

And the OP said cycle paths and trails - we dont really know what trails means. I think they would probably be better with the Boardman too (I do like them and do own one myself) but many people just plain want suspension and wont hear otherwise and who are we to tell them they are wrong. If that is the case then hybrids are generally the worst choice you can make - that Cube MTB is better in literally every way than the Whyte or Giant mentioned.
  • http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike-2014

Do you have British Cycling membership? 10% off that if you do.

FWIW, for your use, I'd avoid suspension. It adds nothing but weight at this point (perhaps all points with hybrids).

Thanks for this, but sorry the link doesn't work, so not sure which Boardman you are referring to?

I was originally looking at a Boardman MX Comp!?

But having looked around now more confused than ever, actually now looking at straight Mountain Bikes - Have looked at a Whyte 529, I like the 629, but its over budget of circa £800.....!

Cycling will be Canal toepaths - very rough, cycle paths, Forest trails and North Wales Trail centres, hence potential shift to MB

Does that change things much on your advice to Boardman??
  • apreading wrote:

And the OP said cycle paths and trails - we dont really know what trails means. I think they would probably be better with the Boardman too (I do like them and do own one myself) but many people just plain want suspension and wont hear otherwise and who are we to tell them they are wrong. If that is the case then hybrids are generally the worst choice you can make - that Cube MTB is better in literally every way than the Whyte or Giant mentioned.

The original post may have been misleading - new to the forum and not explained too well.

Basically want to do toe paths and cycle ways, but have option for the Forest trails and tracks in North Wales, now considering the MTB option, but a 29'er so it is better on the cycle ways but still has ability for forest and mountain trails
  • apreading
    Sounds like you are on the right track with a 29er MTB
  • apreading wrote:
    Sounds like you are on the right track with a 29er MTB

Any view on the 2 mentioned?

Also looked at a Kona Cinder Cone but again it tops out budget and is seriously Green! Not sure I'm flash enough for a fluorescent bike yet!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    If you are going the MTB route you may be better posting in the MTB Buying forum, as although there are people in the road forums that do both disciplines and are very experienced, you will probably receive more feedback in the MTB F.

As to the models you refer to the Kona Cinder Cone is a 27.5" wheel bike (air spring fork though), spec wise is similar to the Whyte 529 29" wheel bike (coil spring fork), though has more Shimano components than the 529, the slime green finish is an acquired taste, Whyte call their similar coloured bikes apple green. The whyte bikes have mounting bosses for fitting of a downtube mounted crud catcher if that matters to you. If you are upping your budget to £1000 then there is more choice available to you.