Cube Attention SL - any thoughts?

Zoonyx
Zoonyx Posts: 6
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Sorry - another newbie help to buy the ad but I have lurked for a while!

I've been looking at this bike on CRC... http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod125736

Looks great, spec seems reasonable, although admittedly you can get similar at decathlon for less.

Currently I've got a 2007 Kona Blast and looking for something which would be an upgrade, though I love the Kona even now.

Any comments? I appreciate other brands are cheaper etc but I do like the look of the attention and I am a bit vain in that respect!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    It's got decent bits on it, much better than you would get from most other big name brands for the money. If you are looking to buy from CRC, you should sign up to British Cyling, you get 10% from there and Halfords
  • Zoonyx

It all looks decent bar maybe the forks - xc32s - are these roughly Dart3's? So top end of the budget stuff?

Thanks for BC info - wasn't aware of this though I might get someone to price match so I can see it in the flesh. LBS don't seem to like CRC much though!

Btw are all brands as bad as cube for maintaining RRP? It's £699 everywhere.
  • The x32s - bottom of the range RS, but still better than mid-range offerings from Suntour. Certainly good enough for a bike at that price point.
    And no LBS will like CRC or Wiggle. My local shop admitted that they can't get some components direct from their suppliers as cheap as i can get online.
    As for RRP - yep pretty much the same across the board for most brands. Might get something from an LBS if you are a regular. (But I found I only started getting deals once I have bought my bike.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Zoonyx
    That's still helpful though. So it's £699 and May as well go 0% if available, or £629 at chain reaction, but I won't see it until it arrives.

Personally although the £70 isn't a small amount of money, maybe it would be best to go see the thing first, and I'm not the type to waste a LBSs time then go CRC!

Interesting about Suntour. CRC have the attention 2014 for a lot less but the Suntour fork looks a bit poo...
  • neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    I have just got the Cude Attention 27.5 and love it.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX
  • Zoonyx
    Neilvx wrote:

Was it an easy choice with 27.5 over 29er? I'd prefer the 27.5 but being tall (6ft3) I wonder if I should be going 29er
  • Zoonyx
    Also (final questions I think)...

I'm slightly worried that I'm not getting an awful lot more than I already have...

My bike is a Kona Blast 07...

Specs here: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... odel=Blast (and listed below)

I changed the forks for RS Tora TK's, Brakes for Avid Elixir 1s, and whole cassette/derailleurs/crank/shifters are Deore circa 2013ish. I know these are only small upgrades (all I could afford!), but the 2015 blast is £799... more than the £699 for the cube, with seemingly lower spec.

I guess what I'm saying is: Help, I'm confused, is the cube a better bike than what I already have?!

(Original) spec for the 07 kona...

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Kona All Mountain Butted Aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Dart 2, 100mm travel
    Fork Material Aluminum/magnesium, single crown
    Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Hayes MX-4 brakes, Avid FR-5 levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Alivio
    Front Derailleur Shimano Acera-X
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera-x
    Crankset FSA Alpha Drive, 22/32/42 teeth
    Pedals Wellgo LU-926 w/ toe clips and straps
    Bottom Bracket FSA Powerdrive
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs 8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
    Chain Shimano IG-70
    Seatpost Kona Thumb
    Saddle WTB Speed V Sport SE
    Handlebar Kona Riser
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Kona Control
    Headset TH
  • neilvx
    neilvx Posts: 137
    Zoonyx wrote:
    Neilvx wrote:

Was it an easy choice with 27.5 over 29er? I'd prefer the 27.5 but being tall (6ft3) I wonder if I should be going 29er

I wasn't a fan of my last 29er and it was heavy, that's why I was set on the 27.5 this time.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 27.5 2017 Grey / Yellow Flash
    Ribble R872 Ultegra
    Skyway BMX