best first hardtail bike to buy

Doncaster7
Doncaster7 Posts: 9
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
hi im new to biking but im looking at getting a hardtail on the ride to work scheme just wondering if you guys could reccomend some good bikes or what to look out for. been told the best thing is to look for the lightest bike?
budget- £500-£1000 from Halfords or Evans cycles
use- mainly use on country trails and general road use not planning on doing anything extreme,downhill,jumping etc. :lol:
prefer the 26 and 27.5 wheels to the 29ers but still open minded.
any help would be appreciated! sorry if i have been a bit vague, like i say im new to biking.
cheers

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Light is good, best fork for your money is better.

For around £500, the Carrera Kraken would be good from halfords, or there is the Boardman range too. If you change your mind about a 29er, there is the Voodoo Bizango, gets very good reviews.

I'm guessing you your username you are in Doncaster, I've found the Halfords there reasonable usually, might be worth seeing if they'll let you at least throw your leg over a few but I doubt they'll let you ride them.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Also think about budgeting for the kit you will need like helmet, gloves, waterproof etc.
  • Thanks for the replys,
    Without wanting too sound stupid how do i know what is the best fork?
    Was looking at bikes around £800 but do you think theres much difference from the kraken which sounds quite good. Was put off the 29er because im only short and was told they wouldnt suit.
    Yes i plan on going to doncaster halfords tomorrow to have a shop around and then to decathlon for some kit
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Doncaster7 wrote:
    Thanks for the replys,
    Without wanting too sound stupid how do i know what is the best fork?
    Was looking at bikes around £800 but do you think theres much difference from the kraken which sounds quite good. Was put off the 29er because im only short and was told they wouldnt suit.
    Yes i plan on going to doncaster halfords tomorrow to have a shop around and then to decathlon for some kit
    This bit isn't true. Compare the 650B Boardman Team to the 29er Team and what you get are(for the same frame size) identical frames in the measurements that matter (top tube and seat tube)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Antm81
    Looking at the boardman hard tails and the Carrera fury, the fury and the board an comp are almost identical, same fork apart from the axle standard, same brakes and the drivetrain is almost identical (apart from the boardman being 3x9). If you can stretch to the boardman team, the fork in my opinion is probably slightly better, however the brakes, drivetrain and wheel set are all better than the other 2.
  • The carerra fury is sounding promising to be honest, isthere much difference between that and the kraken?
    Hopefully il like it when i pop in later.
  • Antm81
    The kraken has a worse fork, plus it's half a kilo heavier. Brakes and drivetrain seem marginally better.
  • After looking its come down to these 3 bikes
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2015#tab3
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2014#tab3
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -2015#tab2
    but as i know very little im still hoping some of you guys could tell me which your choice would be?
    im still open to other suggestions.
  • Antm81
    For me it would be the Boardman, the incline is a bit of an unknown quantity, some reviews have commented that the frame isn't as good, wi some unusual aspects such as the seat post badge which stops the seat being lowered properly.

If you can use the ride to work schemes on sale prices I'd wait a few weeks as halfords tend to regularly discount the bikes. Or they offer 10% discount for British cycling members (just over £20 a year), but again I don't know if you can use it with the tied to work schemes.
  • purchased the boardman team 650b was tempted by the carbon model but it was out of my price range, pick it up saturday. Now to find all the gear to go with it anyone no of any good sites or accessories eg: helmets,mudguards etc
  • Antm81
    Chain reaction are usually good, halfords can also have some good deals too. Merlin cycles are always worth a bash too.