Vittoria Randonneur tyre - anyone gone tubeless?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Currently running knobbly WTB Crosswolf tyres on a pair of Kinesis CXD wheels, converted to tubeless. Wish I'd converted ages ago as the ride comfort is great (especially off-road at 40 psi or lower).

Also have a pair of the same wheels intended for road only, shod with 32mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro tyres running with tubes. Has anyone had any success running these tyres tubeless? I know I can successfully convert this wheelset but unsure if the tyres are "tubeless compatible", or if it even matters?! cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Dunno. But don't get Randonneur. Get Hyper Voyager. Much nicer!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I never managed to try... as long as you keep the pressure within 60 PSI or less, I'm sure they'll be fine. Conversions are only a problem at higher pressure
    left the forum March 2023
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    Just to support what Ugo posted above, I haven't tried the Vittoria tyres mentioned but I did run for over a year a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Extreme DD 42's (now sadly almost unattainable) on Stans 340 rims and am currently running a pair on Stans Crest rims. In both cases (although neither tyre is "tubeless ready") they went on and aired up very easily. As Ugo points out keep the pressure under 60 psi and you are fine. At 82kg I ran them at 55psi on road (and often a good bit less off) at which pressure the Schwalbes rolled and rode superbly.

So I'd say give it a go just watch the pressures
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    when you say you converted the CXD to tubeless, did you use a kit with those valve/rimstrips rubber plastic things, or just two layers of stan's tape?

Thinking of running Schwalbe Ones on CXD V3
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    when you say you converted the CXD to tubeless, did you use a kit with those valve/rimstrips rubber plastic things, or just two layers of stan's tape?

Thinking of running Schwalbe Ones on CXD V3

I used Stans Rim tape (approx 2 laŷers) and a pair of Stans valves (pretty cheap), then added sealant. Worked first time and have stayed up with only occasional air tops ups required. Brilliant.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    3M crossweave tape does the same as Stans tape and is significantly cheaper (see ebay).

Stans valves are good though, as are Superstar, who now do anodised alloy ones which are lighter.

I've tried Conti GP4Seasons and various CX tyres non-tubeless tyres in the past but they took an age to seal, due to porous sidewalls, so only use proper tubeless tyres these days.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Dunno. But don't get Randonneur. Get Hyper Voyager. Much nicer!
    They are great aren't they - I can't believe how well (and fast) they roll for the size and weight of them!
    Look the biz on my Pro6 ;)