25mm tyres that aren't too tall

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
I've got a Cinelli with very tight clearances - only about 4mm max - with 23mm Michelin pro4 on at the moment. These are getting a bit tatty so am thinking of replacing with 25mm for a bit more comfort, but need something that isn't too "tall" - any recommendations?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• zangolin
    zangolin Posts: 4
    You will find the Michelin Pro4 in 25mm come up pretty fat.
    I have them on Campag Scirrocco 35 and Fulcrum Quattro wheels and they come out at 27mm wide. The 23mm Pro4 do come out at 23mm wide on the same wheels.

Not tried 25mm GP4000 - but a have a feeling they may come out nearer 25mm width. Obviously rim width will make a difference to how wide the tyre profile is.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Vittoria Open Corsa.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather 25mm are more like 24mm. Ribble has them on offer (twin pack deal) at the mo.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Vittoria open corsa wonderful tyres and they are no tall.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I find corsa tubs taller
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I've ran 25mm Pro4 Endurances and currently running 25mm Open Corsa SCs. The latter are nowhere near as tall as the former.
  • jif1969
    jif1969 Posts: 29
    Schwalbe Ones are pretty true to their size, just fitted some 25mm on my Cannondale Supersix which doesn't have the greatest amount of clearance but got about 3mm to spare still.

Of course the internal rim width makes a big difference to the width & height of a tyre, mine are on rims with a 17mm internal width.
  • secretsam
    Sounds like the Vittorias are the way to go for a 25mm, have had a succession of visits from the fairy recently on my Michelins, which are now cut quite badly, so it's bin time for them and maybe some Vittorias instead!

• secretsam
    Quick question on this - how 'tall' are Schwalbes? I've heard lots of good things about their tyres, have just got some 28mm Duranos to replace the wrecked Gatorskins on my commuter, wondered how their other tyres measured up in 25mm form

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    If you have a Cinelli Saetta forget the 25mm tyres - been there they don't fit!
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    25mm Conti GP 4 Seasons come up at 25mm.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    DKay wrote:
    I've ran 25mm Pro4 Endurances and currently running 25mm Open Corsa SCs. The latter are nowhere near as tall as the former.

Yepp, Vittoria Open Corsa SC Clinchers are not too tall in 25mm and are the best quality of ride I have ever had from clinchers. The downside is that they are not very durable and offer only limited protection. They are very, very good race tyres (or in my case, posing tyres when riding my poshest retro bike). The gum wall version look particularly nice when new but do stain badly if you get caught in heavy rain. The other downside is the RRP but quality costs...although I notice Wiggle currently has them at under £30!
  • secretsam
    solboy10 wrote:
    If you have a Cinelli Saetta forget the 25mm tyres - been there they don't fit!

LOL I was kind of coming to that conclusion - right! So do I stick with Michelin (which I find cut easily) or try Conti / Schwalbe / Vittoria....decisions, decisions...

• secretsam
    solboy10 wrote:

LOL I'd forgotten about that one!! Am surprised your wheels even went round with the 25mm tyres fitted!

Right, so, some 23mm tyres...