Downtube Helicopter Tape?

markdavidhill
markdavidhill Posts: 279
edited April 2015 in Road general
Informal survey.

Who protects their downtube with helicopter tape?
Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not on either of my bikes. Winter alu bike has full guards so there's not much crap hits the downtube. Carbon bike tends to go out when there's less crap on the roads anyway. I do have patches of copter tape on the headtube to stop cable rub.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Me on the carbon bike. Not on the steely with mudguards.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Only on my Boardman CX to prevent cable rub at the headtube & fork. Don't have it on the other 2 bikes (a) the winter bike has full mudguards (b) the Rourke is more a fair weather bike and heli tape would ruin its appearance. Paint will chip a little and being a steel bike I don't have to worry about carbon cracking.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Thank you.

I've stuck tape on my Madison Volare's downtube and it's very difficult, even with much experience, to get a faultless application. Might take it off.
    Team Madison Genesis Volare & Condor Super Acciaio
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have squares of tape on the frame where the cables rub, also on the seat tube where the FD cable can sometimes touch and on the DS chainstay (the complete lenght)