Hope integrated headset. Fitting problem

paulmon
paulmon Posts: 315
edited April 2015 in Workshop
I'm trying to replace an integrated headset which I've done on other bikes before and not had any issues. I'm using the hope integrated headset and I'm hitting a couple of issues.

1. The instructions for headset ask you to fit bearing seats to the top and bottom of the headtube. However when I do this and put everything back together the actual bearings don't sit flush in the headtube and are slightly exposed top and bottom.

The bearing seats are items 2 and 3 in the following pdf http://cdn.hopetechnology.netdna-cdn.co ... uction.pdf

2. I can get everything to fit as I would expect without the seats but when I tighten the topcap it starts to bind even if I use all 3 of the shims provided.

Are the bearing seats absolutely necessary with this headset and if so what do I need to do to get the bearings to sit flush in the headtube. If they are not needed what could be causing the binding.

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Email Hope - you'll get and answer back inside the day if my past experience is anything to go by - or just pick up the phone and talk to them, they're incredibly helpful.