Garmin speed cadence (new type)

ExigeR
ExigeR Posts: 120
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Has anyone had any problems with them, are the accurate?

My 4th GCS10 has broken and I've had enough of them :cry:

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I got rid of my 3 GSC10s, speed comes via GPS and I don't worry about cadence.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    New ones are fantastic, a much better product than the GCS10!
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Got the cadence only unit and am very happy with it. No issues pairing with my 500.

Just in case you were interested, the Wahoo RPM is slightly slimmer than the Garmin version if you're happy to stick it to your crank (rather than using the supplied zip tie mount). If you want to easily move it between bikes with the mount then the Garmin unit as a whole works out a little slimmer and the rubber band attachment seems less of a pain than using zipp ties.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Yes, got one to put on my turbo wheel. Works fine and also easy to take off and put on the road wheel if I know I am going somewhere that gets shaded. I have cadence through my cranks.

It's worth checking out Ray's review as he mentions that he got some interference initially with it on a Powertap

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/garm ... nsors.html
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ExigeR
    ExigeR Posts: 120
    Thanks guys will get it ordered asap :)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Got mine through Amazon. Ordered it Saturday at 3pm, arrived Sunday at 9am :) I love Amazon Prime
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    They're amazing.. I swap my pair between 3 bikes all the time. Can't say the GSC10 lets me do that so easily
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Ditto, the new magnetless sensors are great. No more knocking the sensor out of alignment and very easy to swap between bikes.
  • neilr4
    neilr4 Posts: 161
    I purchased the new Garmin cadence sensor along with the speed sensor a few weeks back, very well made, easy to pair and handy to switch between bikes.
    'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE
    SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
  • Moldy
    Moldy Posts: 110
    I've had both new sensors for the last 9 months or so and they are a MASSIVE improvment on the GSC10. No more fiddling to make sure the magnet comes close enough to register but no so close it smacks the unit on to the frame, no more cable ties ruining the paint and best of all, 10 second transfer between one bike and another!

What I have noticed is that the speed sensor does take 2-4 seconds to register that you've stopped and always seems a little behind, you only really notice it when stopping suddenly and its perfectly accurate when cruising along.

One of my favourite upgrades, much more discrete and easy to use!

Rob
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    I've heard that the GSC-10s are prone to failure, but I think it's still a bit early to say whether the new ones are a big improvement on that front.

I've used the Garmin Footpods for measuring my running cadence for a while now, they use similar accelerometer technology and again, they're prone to regular failure after 12-18 months of moderate use. It seems widely accepted that they're semi-consumable items, but I can't bring myself to shell out another £40 for a new one.

The new cycling sensors will suffer less impact and will hopefully contain more recent and reliable accelerometer chips so with any luck they will be a solid improvement. I'm just saving up my pennies and biding my time until power meter prices fall a little bit further and will hopefully use ones of those for cadence measurements.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I've soaked mine in water,mud and god knows what else. Bashed my left crank on all sorts of immovable objects and they have taken this abuse for many months.

My experience is that unlike the GSC10, they are not made of cheese
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.