Buckled Rear Wheel

m00nbadger
m00nbadger Posts: 53
edited April 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently had a bit of an incident with my rear wheel

was coming down a relatively steep decent too fast. on the way down I managed to avoid a sizeable rocky hole with the front wheel, but hammered the back into it. subsequently ended up with a flat tyre that deflated within seconds of hitting the hole (inner tube had 2 holes in it, presumably from each side of the rim)

Once I'd fixed the puncture, the wheel had a very distinct wobble to it. At home i'd tried tightening the spokes which helped slightly, but after looking closely at the rim its got a lovely bump in it where I've hit this hole

Any advice on how best to remedy this? Is it a good idea to try 'knock' it out with some careful hammering (wouldn't have thought so but worth asking)? It's rideable, but don't really want to do a lot of distance on it if it's going to do some damage.

Any advice/comments from you knowledgeable lot would be lovely

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited April 2015
    The two holes are a pinch flat or snakebite, will be from one side of the rim.

Don't try and knock the ding out, it causes more fatigue to the metal than leaving it, if it's too big it's new rim time, if not just use it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • its still totally rideable so will endure until new wheels are on the agenda/affordable

cheers Rookie
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    when you true, slacken the nipples on the one side first before tightening on the other side (i.e. don't just tighten)

agree that any dings should be left as is. assuming it's a disc wheel, not that important to be 100% true
  • cheers for the advice dgunthopr

yeah its a disc wheel, just wanted to be sure that whilst it's not the ideal situation I didn't make it any worse

cheers