That's next years upgrading sorted...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited April 2015 in MTB general
You guys probably have seen this but I've had a winter on the snowboard so been out the MTB Loop

XT 1x11 for circa 375GBP...yes please :D

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/shimano-deore-xt-m8000-11-speed-first-look-44084/
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Yeah there's a thread about it already, randomly in the crud catcher though.

viewtopic.php?f=10007&t=13024621
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    As soon as the ten speed is worn out I will have a slice of that.
    It was obviously coming and there was no way I was paying for XX1, X01 or XTR 11 speed.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Yep I'm going to run my 10 speed into the ground. The cassette alone is cheaper than buying a 10 speed cassette and an expander.

Reckon it will be super popular, I wonder if it will be like a new apple product with people queuing up when it's released :lol::lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Ze Germans will have all the components even cheaper as well. I cant remember paying anywhere near full price for XT parts from Rose or Bike Discount.
  • 10 speeds are going to get even cheaper from shimano which is great. Don't really see the need 11 speed for myself.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    10 speeds are going to get even cheaper from shimano which is great. Don't really see the need 11 speed for myself.

Running 1x11 on my bike over 1x10 means I can go larger with my chainring. If I go for the 11-40 cassette I can go up to a 38t ring from a 34. Means more top end speed when the bike points downhill
  • rockmonkeysc
    10 speeds are going to get even cheaper from shimano which is great. Don't really see the need 11 speed for myself.

It will get cheaper then more expensive. 9 speed components are now often more expensive and more difficult to find than 10 speed
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    hmm i wonder if the chain ring will only fit 11speed chains as im interested in the new xt single ring chainset and use it with my existing 10 speed setup.

as my mismatch of shimano gear works well at the moment but chainrings are getting bit worn.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Running 1x11 on my bike over 1x10 means I can go larger with my chainring. If I go for the 11-40 cassette I can go up to a 38t ring from a 34. Means more top end speed when the bike points downhill

Do you really need a 38 though?
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    njee20 wrote:

Do you really need a 38 though?
    Why not? It'd be useful on road/fireroads...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    swod1 wrote:
    hmm i wonder if the chain ring will only fit 11speed chains as im interested in the new xt single ring chainset and use it with my existing 10 speed setup.
    Well all the other manufacturers say that narrow-wide rings work with 9,10 or 11 speed chains.

Although Shimano are using a different design, I can't see their's being any different in this particular respect, as I believe there's little or no difference between the internal widths of the different chains.
  • njee20
    Why not? It'd be useful on road/fireroads...

What sized wheels? I have a 32t, and admittedly with a SRAM cassette I don't even use the 10t until >25mph. I imagine a 38 would leave you somewhat over geared
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I'm on 26" and don't need the 38t, but it would nice for those road sections that I use to link up trails
  • njee20
    Fair enough, I forget people still use 26" wheels ;-)

Wouldn't go bigger than 36 myself though, unless you really are doing huge amounts of road work.