Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0

gdf
gdf Posts: 26
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Are there any Ultimate SLX owners on here?

I've constantly had a tab open with the product page for a few weeks now and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.

I thought I'd make this thread as I can remember there being a big one on here a while ago and the more recent posts had everyone saying that their seatpost had started to crack. Has anyone bought this bike recently and have Canyon sorted this out? Any other things I should know before hitting the order button?

Thanks if you can help!

Comments

• fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    I've got last years, version of this bike, with the ritchy cockpit. My 3rd frameset is now on the way to me! Both of my previous framesets have cracked around the seatpost area, I have the VCLS 2 seatpost, which most people seem to think is the root of the problem. Canyon have not said that this is the problem, but they have said they are sending me a standard seatpost with the new frame, and refunding the cost of the VCLS 2. Hopefully this will sort out the problem. The warranty process has been quick and simple each time no drama no fuss, so I can't fault them on that. The bike itself is amazing, it manages to be both fast and all day comfortable.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Why not get the CF SL 9.0 instead, AFAIK there have not been any issues with the seat post and I have been more than happy with my CF SL. The CF SL 9.0 may be 250gm heavier but there is a £500 saving.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    diamonddog wrote:
    Why not get the CF SL 9.0 instead, AFAIK there have not been any issues with the seat post and I have been more than happy with my CF SL. The CF SL 9.0 may be 250gm heavier but there is a £500 saving.

SL 9.0 owner myself, I think the difference is £600? You could buy the SL and a power meter for the same price of the SLX.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    You could even buy a winter bike with the £600 you'd save....
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    diamonddog wrote:
    Yep, that's what I'd do. In fact I did!

The Ultimate CF SL frame is identical to the SLX in all but colour scheme, carbon grade and layup which adds a small amount of weight but it's still a very light frame that builds into an exceptionally light bike for the money. It's got the same fork and the rest of the bike is still really comfortable, stiff and fun to ride. I was originally planning to get the SLX but changed my mind for the above reasons and have never regretted it. That was before there was much talk of seat tube problems on the SLX but that is just one more reason to consider the SL instead. The same issue does not seem to exist with the SL or if it does I've never heard of a case.

The only problem I ever had was with the VCLS 2.0 seatpost which I got as an optional extra on mine. I had problems with it slipping even at max clamping torque and assembly paste. Canyon have since decided it's not suitable for 85kg riders like myself so they switched it for the default VCLS and refunded the difference (very good customer service in my case). I'm certain the seatpost issue is not related to the frame but to the post itself which I reckon deforms too much when clamped to achieve sufficient grip. It was a lovely ride from the VCLS 2.0 when it stayed put but the bike is still really comfortable with the default post and I really don't miss the fancy one in the least.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog wrote:

SL 9.0 owner myself, I think the difference is £600? You could buy the SL and a power meter for the same price of the SLX.
    Yes you're right it is £600 so even better saving. I agree with Ai_1 the standard VCLS post is really comfortable IME.
  • Dodger747
    Dodger747 Posts: 305
    Got the SLX last year - can't fault mine at all...

RRmFeR-U0IfAGY0bzwr6HgWfs5kKZtR9ereaeH5AbmA=w1370-h1028-no

vJ3CWClK5jN-dy4KVPXOhASB0O37B4VxfIkW11cCbpY=w1370-h1028-no
    VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
    W/kg - 4.9
  • gdf
    Looks great.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    Looks fab - I can't wait for mine to arrive in late May............hopefully my cycling mojo will be back by then!!
  • I'm in the same boat. Do I plunge for the CF SLX 8.0, wait until late July and miss some great riding weather or go for the SL 9.0SL and get it a lot sooner? Apart from my pocket will I notice the difference?
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    I've just pulled the trigger on mine! Got it ordered yesterday, went for the cf sl as its in stock, and frankly, what's a few hundred grams between freinds!
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Miles253 wrote:
    I've just pulled the trigger on mine! Got it ordered yesterday, went for the cf sl as its in stock, and frankly, what's a few hundred grams between freinds!
    Which one have you gone for?
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Alex222 wrote:
    Miles253 wrote:
    Which one have you gone for?

The Aero model, with a vision to sell off the wheels i think, The regular Ultegra model has no stock in my size :/
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • diamonddog
    I'm in the same boat. Do I plunge for the CF SLX 8.0, wait until late July and miss some great riding weather or go for the SL 9.0SL and get it a lot sooner? Apart from my pocket will I notice the difference?
    I have the SL 9.0 SL with Sram Force, lovely bike. It weighs 430gms less than my other bike and TBH I have not noticed the weight difference on any of my rides.
  • ai_1
    I'm in the same boat. Do I plunge for the CF SLX 8.0, wait until late July and miss some great riding weather or go for the SL 9.0SL and get it a lot sooner? Apart from my pocket will I notice the difference?
    I doubt it.

The weight difference is so small as to be pretty irrelevant. The frame may feel slightly different, I don't know. I doubt any difference is is very significant and in terms of comfort I wouldn't be certain the SLX is "better" than the SL. Higher modulus carbon produces the required stiffness with less material and a different layup but this could have either a positive or negative impact on comfort. I doubt you'll get a definitive answer to that.

Both are really nice frames. On paper the SLX is superior due to the lower weight. On the road you'll enjoy both. I certainly don't notice a difference between my SL and the SLX I considered but never rode. ;)
  • Thank you. Although I love the stealth paint job on the SLX I'm too impatient and don't want to miss the whole summer on a new bike. Time to melt the plastic!
  • Allza
    Allza Posts: 31
    I have a stealth slx and have had no problems with the bike so far. Really happy with it. I have the normal vcls seatpost so not sure if that makes any difference. Have some light carbon clinchers which takes the weight of the bike to 6.4kg.
  • gdf
    In the end I ordered the SLX 8.0 with Ultegra Di2. The SL definitely looks a great bike - cheaper and personally I'd never notice the weight difference between that and the SLX (I'm upgrading from a 2014 aluminium Giant Defy 3). But the wheels with the SLX model I've gone for are a significant upgrade and I wanted to get the most amount of/best bike for my budget. I didn't bother going for the VCLS 2 seat post, just the standard.

Like some of you above the wait times on the stealth colour did have me considering the silver. At the time of ordering I could of had it two months earlier than the stealth. However I'm hoping this bike will last me a good few years, rather than just summer 2015, so a few weeks isn't much to wait in the long term. Can not wait until it arrives at the end of June (hopefully) now.
  • ai_1
    gdf wrote:
    In the end I ordered the SLX 8.0 with Ultegra Di2. The SL definitely looks a great bike - cheaper and personally I'd never notice the weight difference between that and the SLX (I'm upgrading from a 2014 aluminium Giant Defy 3). But the wheels with the SLX model I've gone for are a significant upgrade and I wanted to get the most amount of/best bike for my budget. I didn't bother going for the VCLS 2 seat post, just the standard.

Like some of you above the wait times on the stealth colour did have me considering the silver. At the time of ordering I could have had it two months earlier than the stealth. However I'm hoping this bike will last me a good few years, rather than just summer 2015, so a few weeks isn't much to wait in the long term. Can not wait until it arrives at the end of June (hopefully) now.
    I don't think there's a bad choice between the two and I'm sure you'll love the SLX (I do slightly prefer the stealth colour scheme to the black&silver SL scheme - although I'd really prefer a gloss scheme for convenience and durability). I hope you really enjoy it once you get your hands on it and I'm sure you will!
  • Decision made! Have plunged for the SLX Stealth. The wheels on the SLX swung it for me too. No need to upgrade anything. I figured I'm better to be patient and get what I really want and just enjoy my current trusty steed for a little while longer, after all this is a much longer term investment than the next few weeks. Got a feeling it's going to be a long wait but totally worth it.....