Making up a campagnolo cassette

Jabbertaff
Jabbertaff Posts: 10
edited April 2015 in Workshop
I have numerous campagnolo Chorus and centaur cassettes, I normally run a 13/29 cassette but following a winter on my cube with 105 12/28 cassette I would like to fit a 12 to the campagnolo cassette, it seemed the only gear to drop out was the 16, so I've taken that out and added the 12, I've run the bike up on the bike stand and the gear changing is very erratic in the middle of the cassette can any one shed some light on why this is so? I've red some where it could be a timing issue,
Am I just trying to have too much spread of gear?
Does any one else use a 12/29?

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,975
    I run Centaur with a 12-29 Miche cassette on one bike... no problems at all.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you look at any cassette, all the sprocket teeth are aligned to ensure smooth shifting - by missing a sprocket, the teeth are no longer aligned and therefore shifting will be rough. Also, make sure the spacing is the same - the spacers on some Campagnolo cassettes are sprocket-specific. I'd just buy a replacement cassette.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • That's the problem, apart from a Miche cassette which I'm not sure about, Campagnolo don't make a 12-29, so after spending hours trying to make up two cassettes I've just going to stick to what I already use :roll:

I'll just have to make sure the tool kits in the van for 3 day event.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    I have a 12-29 Chorus on mine, Jabbertaff.