Designing for a safer commute: Survey

Cdonnelly
Cdonnelly Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in Commuting general
I am currently working on a project to make the average commuters cycle safer and in turn encourage more people to take up cycling for their commute. To do this I need to gather some information to find out what the issues may be. I would appreciate if anyone could fill in the questionnaire on this link and even pass it on to other friends and family.

https://www.esurveycreator.co.uk/s/6d060a0

Thank you for your time!

Callum Donnelly

Comments

• jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    Done
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Done.

Should have asked everyone to comment on their helmet preference rather than just those who don't wear one.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Mudguards are an obvious add-on for a commuter bike (wasn't listed)
  • fwgx
    fwgx Posts: 114
    Done. the biggest issue by far is the quality of the road surfaces in terms of bumps and holes and even the quality of the tarmac. There's a road I ride daily where after 2 mins it feels like I've been operating a pneumatic drill and it's difficult to even keep your hands holding the bars. And this is a proper tarmaced road. Of course in a car it's OK, and that's all councils care about.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Done, and congratulations on one of the best surveys we've been asked to complete, well done.

For my the poor planning of cycle ways is the main issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Some people have mentioned the age range which I initially decided for my demographic, however, I would find any feedback highly useful and would encourage as many people as possible to take part. One factor which decided the age was the fact that many cyclists older then that group are more experienced and willing to use safety products regardless of seeming 'uncool' so I wanted to break into the gap which might not be as easily convinced to use these products.

Again this isn't solid but I would be happy for anyone to challenge that and would include it in my report.

The survey has been edited and I am pleased with the amount of feedback already.

Apologies if you felt excluded.
  • RutlandGav
    RutlandGav Posts: 144
    Here's a problem for us bikers that's increasingly common these days - storage at home.

Like an increasing number of people I'm in private rented accommodation. Like an increasing number of people i live alone. In a one bedroom flat which you are unable to modify, where do you keep the bike?

Indoors? Takes a lot of room you probably don't have and not very nice in wet weather. How's your landlord going to react when he does his quarterly inspection and finds a bike in there? Probably in the same way that he would if he found a puppy.

OTOH I could keep it in the garden shed (found one of the few one bed apts. to have one) but then the neighbourhood crackheads will steal it.
  • RutlandGav
    RutlandGav Posts: 144
    My second gripe is road design / poor cycle infrastructure. Got a nice wide urban avenue where cars could safely pass cyclists? Let's split it into two super narrow lanes, so that you couldn't slip a Rizla paper between two Fiestas, and jack the limit up to 40. That'll flow more traffic !

Why do so many cycle paths run out after 150 yards and dump you back into the traffic?

Why do they run along pavements, forcing you to give way to queueing traffic at side roads every 50 yards?

Why are they always lined by a row of houses, with people's driveways opening onto them every 10 yards, cars reversing out from behind tall hedges, kids barrelling out on toy trikes, grannies emerging abruptly, wheelie bins, skips and surplus vehicles parked in the cycle lane?
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    Maybe there needs to be an option to select more than one type of bike? I picked road bike, but really I choose between road, cx and MTB depending on if I want to scare myself silly in the forest, use the gravel route or take a longer road option.
    For me there are no real issues to moan about. There are some sub-standard cycle paths, but plans are in place for fixing most of them and they (the councils) go nuts with hugely expensive bridges and tunnels to shave 5 mins off bike commuting times.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Done.

Should have asked everyone to comment on their helmet preference rather than just those who don't wear one.

Is this relevant? I don't think knowing whether you look cool or not on your commute to work is important. Just sayin! :lol: