GoPro Mount advice

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking to video our upcoming IOW ride, but want something more flexible than a bolt on solution. One view gets very dull very quickly. Anyone found a way round this?

I have seen a grabber arm type mount, but no idea how practical/useful/safe they are.
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    We went to the alps with the 'bolt-on' and a 'grabber'. After a day, the grabber went in the bin..... Not stable enough and can slip. Just use the grabber and reposition it as you need it. If it;s loose enough for you to move it on the fly, it'll rattle out of position after a few potholes.
  • meursault
    g00se wrote:
    We went to the alps with the 'bolt-on' and a 'grabber'. After a day, the grabber went in the bin..... Not stable enough and can slip. Just use the grabber and reposition it as you need it. If it;s loose enough for you to move it on the fly, it'll rattle out of position after a few potholes.

Thanks. I was thinking that even a 'static' grabber could be easily swapped between riders, to get a least slightly different footage?

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Taken an ebay punt on

$_57.GIF

and

$_57.JPG

Fifteen quid all in about.

Voltaire
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Don't bother, no one wants to watch a the footage of you riding around the IOW. Most would rather stab their eyes out with a blunt pencil. Just enjoy your memories.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    meursault wrote:
    Taken an ebay punt on

$_57.GIF

That's the one I had, the joints weren't rigid enough when tight. Tried padding them out to keto them still but they shook loose.
  • meursault
    t4tomo wrote:
    Don't bother, no one wants to watch a the footage of you riding around the IOW. Most would rather stab their eyes out with a blunt pencil. Just enjoy your memories.

LOl, that's quite a generalisation you have there. I may have an epic auteristic existential opus planned.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    g00se wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    Taken an ebay punt on

$_57.GIF

That's the one I had, the joints weren't rigid enough when tight. Tried padding them out to keto them still but they shook loose.

Homer-Simpson-Doh.jpg

Voltaire
  • Rocketm0n
    Rocketm0n Posts: 14
    I'd go for a helmet mount. That way you can chose what to film by simply turning your head. Also, in my experience, a camera mounted rigidly to the bike picks up lots of resonance and road noise through the bike, as well as amplifying things like gear changes and clipping in or out. This all combines to give a very poor soundtrack to any video.
  • meursault
    Rocketm0n wrote:
    I'd go for a helmet mount. That way you can chose what to film by simply turning your head. Also, in my experience, a camera mounted rigidly to the bike picks up lots of resonance and road noise through the bike, as well as amplifying things like gear changes and clipping in or out. This all combines to give a very poor soundtrack to any video.

All noted, most appreciated thank you

Voltaire
  • meursault
    The seatpost clampy thing arrived today, and I have tried attaching it. It looks good, can adjust tight as I want. Will give it a test run with gopro and report back.

Voltaire
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,704
    t4tomo wrote:
    I don't know, depends on the viewpoint. Possibly NSFW in the real world.
  • meursault
    Veronese68 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    I don't know, depends on the viewpoint. Possibly NSFW in the real world.

Exactly. that's inspired me to treat you to my manboobs shots.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Pretty much what goose said on the seat post clampy one. Tightens up OK except the connector just under gopro mount and above the skewer type thing. Once camera is loaded on, it's too loose and will rattle. Didn't even try it out will probably bin it.

Voltaire