Secure locking option for useless bike stand

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited April 2015 in Commuting general
At work I got my last bike nicked, I am determined not to let my new bike go that way so am looking for better ways to lock my bike. The difficulty is the rack is an old style one where you put your wheel into a slot between two strips of metal that hold the bike. This is also where you casn lock the bike to. The issue is this is too far from the frame. If I used my decent rated D lock I would only be able to secure the QR wheel and not reach the rack and the frame. This is obviously no good. At the moment all I can do is D lock my wheel to the frame and then use a less secure cable to reach from the frame to the rack. The idea is the d lock stops the thief riding it away but the basic cable lock is the only means to secure it to the immovable rack.

I am wondering if there are options other than a long motorbike style heavy chain. I want Sold Secure gold rated lock (was planning to get a D lock with that rating until this problem came up). I have only just got my replacement bike so never really noticed this was a problem (used a basic cable lock before that reached to the rack). I am thinking of getting something like a masterlock gold rated chain lock or perhaps the gold rated hiplock or the Abus granite plus gold rated lock. i think this last one is long enough to reach the rack. These are all a lot heavier than the D lock options I am thinking of.

The other option is to suggest to my employers to replace the cheap and nasty current rack (it is really just galvanized steel thin strips welded into a rack with 6 bike slots with alternate slots raised). Is there a reasonably priced rack available for say 6 to 10 bikes that would allow stable bike support that also allows the used of a decent D lock running through the frame, wheel and the rack? IMHO those steel tubes embedded in the ground in towns are even better than our current racking but there must be something compact and better than that.

Comments

• macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I had a similar set up at my last place. i was able to place my bike behind the rack and us my d lock on the main bar holding the bike slots. our bike rack was quite quiet though so not sure if its an option or even if you have room to put it behind the holders? but definitely have the talk with your employer to see if they can improve things.
    good luck
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • redbikejohn
    redbikejohn Posts: 160
    My bike was nicked at work too. They also have those useless wheel stands. I complained and they said they would look into getting a more safe system then suggested I make something (i work in engineering Sept) . I took vehicle load securing bars and made up bolt on bars at frame height that we fixed between the shelter upright polls. Then I welded over the nuts.
    I took a heavy chain into work that I leave there to chain the bike through the frame.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I occasionally meet my coach at a gym that has those bike racks. I usually position one wheel either side of the main bar that the wheel hoops are attached to and then lock my d-lock through my back wheel (within the rear triangle Sheldon Brown stylee) to the hoops. Less of an issue as I'm normally on my fixie which has track nuts rather than quick release wheels and I'm generally only there for an hour or so.

They really are terrible bike stands though.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I call 'em wheel benders and when work did the office refurb (including bike stand) I met with the site forerman and designer. I was completely immovable on the type of stands to be provided and they fitted Sheffield stands into very deep ground anchors.

They had a temporary bike stand during the works which had wheel benders on and we just locked our bikes to the fence.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tangled_metal
    Well I just get up early and make sure I arrive before anyone else so I can put my bike in the gap between the end of the rack and the inside of the open shed it is in (the shed is a roof with side walls going up to within 3 inches of the roof and no front or back wall at all). My bike then leans against the side of the rack and I can just get my D lock around the frame, rear wheel and one of the steel strips that form the side support structure of the rack. It works but only now when the weather is not quite warm enough for the fair weather cyclists to be coming into work on bikes. I might end up having to come in half an hour early to get that one spot come summer.

I mentioned it to a director when he asked me about me coming in on my new bike. He fobbed me off by saying he would look into it. Might just mention something since when the bikes got nicked from there they did say they would look into a better arrangement. If another bike got nicked I think they could be pursuaded. Just need to agree for one of us to arrange a fake theft to get that change I think...joking of course!!!
  • tangled_metal
    Anyone with a link to different types of stands that are commercially available? I am thinking of looking for options in case I hear they are serious about improving bike security on site.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Sheffield Stands can be got for around £25 each, and hold two bikes each. They need to be sunk into the ground properly though.

Or a Sheffield 'toastrack' may be easier as it can presumably just use ground bolts. See http://www.allpark.co.uk/all-cycle-park ... oated.html for example
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    We've got the same stands at work here. I used to lock my bike the same way as you. (D lock the frame to back wheel, cable to the stand), but after a spate of bike thefts I started locking my bike to one of the upright poles holding the roofing up. (D lock round pole, frame and back wheel, cable from lock to front wheel).
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    We've ended up with something similar to this:

economy_20_cycle_galvanised_1.jpg

http://www.premierlimited.co.uk/bike-sh ... -i948.html
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tangled_metal
    The sheffield toast rack looks ideal and not too expensive I think. Not patent pending I hope as it is something we can get made here quite cheaply either in house or with our usual fabricators.

Can't think the full rack with shelter is even remotely going to be considered. I can see up to £500 being considered but over double that and the bosses will have kittens (plus the accountant won't be happy having to find that spare cash, she's fully in control of the purse strings here).

Thanks for your replies. I am only trying to make it better for all here.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I don't know where you are but I got some free bike stands installed at work from these people.

http://www.lifecycleuk.org.uk/free-cycle-parking

If you don't live on the catchment area it might be worth contacting your local council to see if they fund a similar scheme.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I worked at a place with 'wheelbenders' and never used them, always locked my bike to the supports of the bike racks.
    We've ended up with something similar to this:

economy_20_cycle_galvanised_1.jpg

http://www.premierlimited.co.uk/bike-sh ... -i948.html

My current employer has this set-up but three rows across with a completely covered bike shed, OK in the winter but a sauna in the summer.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.