GVA doping Ban?

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited May 2015 in Pro race

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    edited April 2015
    Just to clarify, he hasn't been banned yet. The 2yr ban is the prosecution request, not the result of the commission.

I did lol that he's been taking* illegal 'fortifying baby food' as well as UV treatment... *damn forgot to add allegedly...
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Jeezo, let's hope this doesn't happen. After such a fine ride at P-R too.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ah one of my irrational cycling fan hatreds. One of My Anti-Men

I just don't like his face.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dish_dash

And the rest? :wink:

Van-Avermaet.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    It's a bizarre case that one. I'm not sure he's done anything wrong. I don't think he'll get a two year ban - maybe a short ban.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Full marks for capitalised, dramatic thread title which is completely inaccurate
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    dish_dash wrote:

And the rest? :wink:

Van-Avermaet.jpg

Put it away! :shock:

No, no, no, no, no!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Full marks for capitalised, dramatic thread title which is completely inaccurate

If Frenchie ever loses a billion pounds and gets sacked he has potential writing clickbait...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    ddraver wrote:
    Full marks for capitalised, dramatic thread title which is completely inaccurate

If Frenchie ever loses a billion pounds and gets sacked he has potential writing clickbait...

Potential?!?!? There are days I wonder whether the forum owners have him on retainer... :P
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Has the clinic exploded yet? More importantly have they invented a link to Sky?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    20140323_C2A9BrakeThrough-Media_3S1A0485_zpsfe3fed5d.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    edited April 2015
    So they want a 2 year ban based purely on an email exchange with Dr. Mertens and some cream for a foot problem?

Give me a break. If that was the case my Mrs would want a divorce, the house and custody of the kids based on some of my emails to her best mate. :D

What's happened to innocent until proven guilty these days? christ, I had better not go for a coffee with anyone for fear they work in the pharmaceutical industry and everyone thinks I'm trying to gain an advantage at the London Ride100 :roll:
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    mm1 wrote:
    More importantly have they invented a link to Sky?

Why would they do that? We already know Sky have Ferrari on retainer.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Ashbeck wrote:
    So they want a 2 year ban based purely on an email exchange with Dr. Mertens and come cream for a foot problem?

:shock:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Ashbeck
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Ashbeck wrote:
    So they want a 2 year ban based purely on an email exchange with Dr. Mertens and come cream for a foot problem?

:shock:

:D sorry, thats what happens sitting in work rush-typing! :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Come cream isn't banned if it's taken orally. Only injecting it is banned. At least that's what Bill Clinton reckons.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ashbeck
    RichN95 wrote:
    Come cream isn't banned if it's taken orally. Only injecting it is banned. At least that's what Bill Clinton reckons.

:lol: I wonder if Hilary thinks the same way.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Here's my favourite from the clinic thread.

tough for Van Avermaet.
    pays big bucks to gear up on AICAR, EPO and god knows what else.
    manages to mask it succesfully.
    gets busted for Diprophos.
    sees guys like Froome skate with fasttracked TUEs for similar products.
  • ^ that right there is just people displaying mental illness in a public forum. The chilling thing is how rational they think it all is and how opinions sensibile to probably 99% of people are laughed out of town. Loonballs.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340

except its not inaccurate because he put a question mark at the end of the title........
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

except its not inaccurate because he put a question mark at the end of the title........

look closelyer...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Whilst I won't rush to judgement on whether he did anything wrong (whatever he did or didn't do), I also won't put a lot of stock in any article that CyclingNews writes and use that as a rock-solid basis for forming an opinion.

If/when actual facts come out about the case, and when a verdict is handed down, THEN I'll rush to judgement.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Pokerface wrote:
    If/when actual facts come out about the case, and when a verdict is handed down, THEN I'll rush to judgement.

You haven't got the hang of this internet forum thing, have you? :wink:
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Although the Clinic does appear to be the haunt of the eternally suspicious, it's probably a simple opposite of here, where the very idea that anyone involved in pro-cycling might possibly be doping seems to be a strange and unthinkable thing.

It's pro-cycling, there have been, are now and probably always will be dopers, and the 'good guys' are just as likely as anyone else to be at it....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    crikey wrote:
    Although the Clinic does appear to be the haunt of the eternally suspicious, it's probably a simple opposite of here, where the very idea that anyone involved in pro-cycling might possibly be doping seems to be a strange and unthinkable thing.

It's pro-cycling, there have been, are now and probably always will be dopers, and the 'good guys' are just as likely as anyone else to be at it....

I don't think there is a single person here who doesn't think there is doping in pro cycling.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    crikey wrote:

I don't think that's the case at all. Any plausible issue raised in the clinic has been discussed here. Any new development would get the same treatment. There hasn't been a new development, bar the ususal positives, for several years.

Also this is a cycling forum and tends to attract people into cycling. The Clinic is a doping forum and attracts what you'd expect.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    This is probably a subject for a different place and a different day, but I see many people on cycling forums, especially in the UK, who assume that doping began and ended with Lance.

A lifetime of following cycling leads to a healthy scepticism about any rider, regardless of how nice/young/credible/virtuous/outspoken/British they might be...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Sure.

And people here are sceptical when it's warranted. Going the clinic route and saying everyone is doping is cowardly and stupid.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    crikey wrote:
    A lifetime of following cycling leads to a healthy scepticism about any rider, regardless of how nice/young/credible/virtuous/outspoken/British they might be...

Indeed. But in contrast to the clinic we don't automatically assume everyone is on the gear, and it isn't the whole basis for our 'interest' in the sport. I'd like to think most of us on here actually like the sport, and enjoy it as that: sport.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.