Chain came off and scratched carbon frame

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited April 2015 in Road general
Hi,

My chain fell off on my Rose a couple of days ago and when it did the metal chain stay protector fell of with it

There is a a very small area where the lacquer has chipped away.

Rose have sent me another protector

Should this be a problem?

Thanks

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Should what be a problem? The chain falling off? Did it fall off the inner ring or the outer ring? Either way, it sounds like your limit screws need adjusting.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If its just the lacquer then it shouldnt be a problem. If you want opinions then posting a photo might be best.

As noodleman says, you may need to adjust something to stop it happening again. Sounds odd that the chain stay protector fell off too?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Consider a chain catcher if you dont already have one.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    trailflow wrote:
    Consider a chain catcher if you dont already have one.
    +1
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    apreading wrote:
    If its just the lacquer then it shouldnt be a problem. If you want opinions then posting a photo might be best.

As noodleman says, you may need to adjust something to stop it happening again. Sounds odd that the chain stay protector fell off too?

Had something similar - not a metal one - but looks metallic. A semi-rigid plastic 'patch' that covers the chain stay just inside the back of the chain rings. It's there to protect the chain-stay from damage if the chain is dropped and sucked back up between the chain-rings and frame. Sounds like it did most of it's job.

It reminds me that I should replace mine.
  • Roubaixtom wrote:
    Hi,

My chain fell off on my Rose a couple of days ago and when it did the metal chain stay protector fell of with it

There is a a very small area where the lacquer has chipped away.

Rose have sent me another protector

Thanks

I did exactly the same thing on my Rose last week. I was just wondering who you contacted to get a replacement protector as mine got bent in the incident.

thanks
    2014 Rose Xeon CW when its not raining
    2010 Dolan Preffisio when it is
    CAAD4 retired now and hanging on the wall
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Hmm, is this a Rose trait? My chainstay protector came off about a month back.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    Depends. Did it get wet?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • roubaixtom
    Seems to be a bit of an issue.

It wasn't wet

The annoying thing is if the protector didn't fall off and was doing its job the chip wouldst have happened.

Did you get a new protector? They are sending one out to me, just got in contact with their bike service department
  • roubaixtom
    Here is a picture of the chips the chain made when it was dropped, ordered a chain catcher.

IMG_6824_zps38xfwzft.jpg

Is this just cosmetic? When the rose chain stay protector comes it will be covered
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    That looks cosmetic.

As others have said, it might be a good idea to see what threw the chain. If you can avoid doing so, it is preferable to ride in a way which does not involve the chain leaving its intended place between cassette and chain ring. If it keeps being thrown, it will grind through the structure of the CF in well under two decades and will affect resale value.

There are screws which allow you to adjust the max-min and other aspects of the shift for both mechs. You will need screwdriver and a book on how to do it.

I wish you well. The posts warning about getting it wet are from cheeky monkeys who would wish to scare you. Carbon Fibre does not rust.

I hope I have helped.
  • noodleman
    Just put some helicopter tape on the stay and get your limit screws set properly. Not a rose issue at all, unless you mean the chain stay protector coming off. If the front mech is set up properly you shouldn't have any worries. Just put helicopter tape on to protect the stay from chain slap.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • roubaixtom
    The Rose issue is the protector coming off.

I have set limit screws and ordered held tape and a chain catcher so it should happen again.

SO, the chips on the frame are only cosmetic and won't effect the structure of the frame in any way!?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Roubaixtom wrote:
    The Rose issue is the protector coming off.

I have set limit screws and ordered held tape and a chain catcher so it should happen again.

SO, the chips on the frame are only cosmetic and won't effect the structure of the frame in any way!?
    Looks like it's just paint chips in the photo. The paint doesn't provide a structural function ;)
    If there's damage to the carbon there may be some reason for concern but I'd be surprised if a dropped chain caused anything significant. Carbon fibre won't chip like paint so I expect you'd be able to see the difference if there was damage to the carbon beneath.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Chains do come off - paint chips - carbon is not steel !
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    ...carbon is not steel !
    Well that's quite obvious, but what's your point?
    If you're talking about corrosion then say so. If someone's not sure about the subject matter I find it a good idea to give the answer rather than allude to it!
  • noodleman
    If you're fussy, get some clear lacquer in a touch up tube and gradually build up the layers into the chipped parts. Then get the finest wet and dry sandpaper (1800 I think) and sand it flat. Then polish it back up with t cut and you'll never notice it.
    Rose pro sl disc
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If anyone wants a good way to make it lots more likely to drop a chain, try changing down to the little ring with barely any pedalling load. I've seen a good few people drop a chain using this 'method' :)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I did this once and made a hole in the chainstay. And had to walk home because the chain was jammed in between the chain ring and frame. I made the mistake of shifting from big to small with the chain on the smallest sprocket going quite fast. Count yourself lucky.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo