Speedplay zero cleat components

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Good morning

Does anyone know if you can buy the metal plates from speedplay cleats separately? Looking on places like Wiggle, you can buy whole cleats, screws for the plates, wedges and sole protectors but not the metal plates.

I don’t want to have to buy a whole new set if possible so buying the actual bit that gets scuffed would do.

TIA

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Don't think so no. I suspect that when the metal plate is that scuffed it's time for new cleats anyway though

Try the cafe ship cleat covers or the keepon covers next time. Neither are perfect though. Speed play are supposed to be releasing an aero/walkable cleat soon that will fit zero pedals but I can't find any yet. Mine are due to be replaced soon too....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I've never seen the plates on sale as a spare. As above, keep-on covers will completely protect the plates and coffee shop covers will protect them when off the bike although I've decided the latter are too much hassle to carry around. For now I'm happy with the keep on covers. I may well try the walk-able cleats when they come out.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I do have cleat covers but the damage has come from just stopping at lights,junctions etc. Also the odd time I've had to stop sharpish after been cut up by vehicles. I generally dont walk about without the covers so its not from that
  • ai_1
    I do have cleat covers but the damage has come from just stopping at lights,junctions etc. Also the odd time I've had to stop sharpish after been cut up by vehicles. I generally dont walk about without the covers so its not from that
    That's the advantage of the keep-on covers - you keep them on. I used the coffee shop covers originally but they only solve a part of the problem and create new ones. The keep on covers will protect the aluminium plate and bolts from damage at all times, prevent damage to floors from the plate and improve grip walking. Plus they stay on the shoe so they're fit and forget.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    ddraver wrote:
    Don't think so no. I suspect that when the metal plate is that scuffed it's time for new cleats anyway though

Try the cafe ship cleat covers or the keepon covers next time. Neither are perfect though. Speed play are supposed to be releasing an aero/walkable cleat soon that will fit zero pedals but I can't find any yet. Mine are due to be replaced soon too....

If you get any info on release date for those walkable Speedplays drop me a message. I wouldn't mind some of them myself.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Smother on a couple of layers of shoe goo instead, taking care to avoid the metal springs. Works for me and you just apply more if it wears through. A big tube costs about £8 and lasts ages.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    ddraver wrote:
    Speed play are supposed to be releasing an aero/walkable cleat soon that will fit zero pedals but I can't find any yet. Mine are due to be replaced soon too....

Speedplay have confirmed top me that they should be due May.

Covers are linked too the new cleats so you can't retrofit onto your exiting cleats apparently. Price in the US is $55, so undoubtedly they'll replace the $ with the £ when pricing here
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    I don't quite get the point of the cleat covers. The rest of the cleat wears long before the metal outer bit.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    brettjmcc wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Speed play are supposed to be releasing an aero/walkable cleat soon that will fit zero pedals but I can't find any yet. Mine are due to be replaced soon too....

Speedplay have confirmed top me that they should be due May.

Covers are linked too the new cleats so you can't retrofit onto your exiting cleats apparently. Price in the US is $55, so undoubtedly they'll replace the $ with the £ when pricing here

Thanks Brett!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ai_1
    dilatory wrote:
    I don't quite get the point of the cleat covers. The rest of the cleat wears long before the metal outer bit.
    For me there are 3 reasons for using covers.
    1. Prevents damage to floors when leaving or returning home or going into a coffee shop, etc. (Speedplay cleats can VERY easily damage floors - especially wood)
    2. Improves grip and thus makes walking much easier and safer.
    3. Prevents wear to the bottom of the cleat - not terribly important in my opinion.

While the covers do protect the bottom plate from damage I agree this is not vital. It's not the reason I use them, it's a nice side-effect.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Ah. I've perfected a camp Speedplay walk that seems to do me fine regardless of surface. The rest of my cleats wear out and give horrid rocking long before any other part anyway.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Am i the only one who takes their shoes off when going into a cafe or shop ?
  • trailflow wrote:

Yes you are!!! Lol I wouldn't dream of removing my shoes to go into some of the cafes I use…. not that they are dirty, just unhygienic…both ways!!
  • ai_1
    trailflow wrote:
    Yes, yes you are.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    And..

My feet don't smell
    If yours do, unlucky for you :lol:
  • ai_1
    trailflow wrote:
    And..

My feet don't smell
    If yours do, unlucky for you :lol:
    Nothing to do with that. I'm just not willing to walk into shops or cafe in socks for starters and then putting them back in my shoes and contaminating them too just makes it worse.