Chain slip advice

nigelgos
nigelgos Posts: 128
edited April 2015 in Workshop
I get slip when I put the power down after replacing my chain. I know that this is common with new chains if you let them run too long but in this case I've done about 2000 miles since the last chain change on the then new cassette. I'd been using a gauge to measure 'stretch' and put the new chain on about a week after hitting 0.75 (~150 miles later).

In the hope of fixing the slip I've straightened my derailleur hanger today (it was a touch out) but that hasn't helped.

Any other input before I try a new cassette? The cranks are about 8,500 miles old - I doubt it's them, but I can't reproduce the slip in the small ring... which has me thinking.

Comments

• crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    I notice you're from Yorkshire and will therefore still have the old chain; put it back on and all will work well for another few thousand miles.

Or buy a new cassette and stop checking your chain; it's a racket.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If the chain slip is at the rear then it has nothing to do with the cranks.

Have you got a spare wheel you can try? Last time I had bad chain slip it was the freehub pawls that were at fault.

Putting the old chain back on is a good idea to eliminate whether the issue is indeed caused by the new chain. Don't fret too much about irrecoverable damage to your drivechain from the odd 100+ miles on a .75 chain.
  • nigelgos
    nigelgos Posts: 128
    crikey wrote:
    I notice you're from Yorkshire and will therefore still have the old chain; put it back on and all will work well for another few thousand miles.

Cheeky f@*!3r :D

I just got the old one out of the bin, a bit of dog and baby poo make for surprisingly good chain lube.
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Putting the old chain back on is a good idea to eliminate whether the issue is indeed caused by the new chain. Don't fret too much about irrecoverable damage to your drivechain from the odd 100+ miles on a .75 chain.

Good news is that this is the cause of the slippage, my old chain stopped this. It's annoying though, I'd followed 'the rules' for changing your chain when at 0.75 and the cassette is shot :( Prematurely wearing a cassette by using the old chain isn't a big issue but won't it also start to prematurely wear the front rings?

Incidentally I used the same process last year and got through 3 chains over 6,500 miles and the same model cassette (105) held up fine.

Thanks for the input guys.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Twice I've had similar slippage under power after replacing a chain, on one occasion I'd replaced the cassette and chainset at the same time. A stiff link seemed to be the issue, I'd readjusted everything but it still slipped under load so I cleaned and relubed the chain a few times and it cured the problem, my mate had the same problem and it was solved in exactly the same way.