Orange Patriot Replacement

rjenk74
rjenk74 Posts: 4
edited April 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hey all

what would you consider as a replacement for a stolen Orange Patriot 2005? Insurance will replace as new for old however would the old bike be closest to the Alpine 160 AM, the Alpine RS, the 5S or the 5Pro? Or maybe even another Orange?

Appreciate this may be impossible to answer due to the age of the bike but was just curious due to the difference in price that may be offered

thanks for you time

regards

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even a modern Five would be more capable in every way than your old Patriot.
    What sort of riding do you do?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had a 2003 Patriot LT and I'd definitely agree a current Five is probably a better bike for anything you did on your Patriot. And if you pedal it anywhere in the UK DEFINITELY better!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    How about if you pedal it outside the UK? Is the UK different to anywhere else
  • mike hunts alpine
    mike hunts alpine Posts: 765
    edited April 2015
    rjenk74 wrote:
    Hey all

what would you consider as a replacement for a stolen Orange Patriot 2005? Insurance will replace as new for old however would the old bike be closest to the Alpine 160 AM, the Alpine RS, the 5S or the 5Pro? Or maybe even another Orange?

Appreciate this may be impossible to answer due to the age of the bike but was just curious due to the difference in price that may be offered

thanks for you time

regards
    I own a 2014 alpine and its spot on handles everything really well, even climbs. Simple to maintain and built for the rough stuff.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    How about if you pedal it outside the UK? Is the UK different to anywhere else

Yep, gravity is more big in UK.

No, I meant - if you want to ride up anything near where you live then a Five would be better than a Patriot. I guess the UK was an assumption he was living in the UK. Insert any country for UK.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rjenk74
    rjenk74 Posts: 4
    thanks for the info guys

I actually was not clear enough in my original post as the question wasn't what I should get, but what the insurance company would think is the replacement and thus offer to pay-out! As it happens they have decided the Alpine is the equivalent and offered based on that so I now have £3.5k voucher to spend on what I want woohoo. From what I have read so far though, if I do stick with Orange, I think I would be erring towards the 5 as opposed to Alpine at the moment!

oh and yes I do live in the UK

thanks for you time guys
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    gogo test ride.. personally preferred all other bikes I test rode over the orange. Everyone is different though! ride as much as you can!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Get a load of test rides. The Five is ok but nothing special. The latest generation Transition bikes are just in your budget and some of the best bikes I have ever ridden.