Freehub loose....

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited April 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I’ve got a pro-lite Como rear wheel on my commuter / training bike, 10 speed Shimano.

http://www.pro-lite.net/road-wheels/como-ds

It was originally on my CX bike, but I moved it over about 6 weeks ago, so its not had much use.

About a week ago I noticed a bit of play in the bearings, so took them out (ball & cone), gave it all a clean and regrease and re assembled. All was good for a couple of days, then yesterday I noticed a knocking / rattling sound from that area whilst riding, so checked when I got home and the freehub is loose, with a good couple of mm of movement.

I have checked and the cassette is definitely tight to the freehub, its definitely the freehub that is loose on the hub. I took the axle out, cassette off and put it back together and nothing is obviously wrong.

I’ve never done anything with freehubs before, so don’t know where to start (or even how to take the freehub off?!).

Whats the likely problem, is it a case of adjustment or will something need replacing?

Advice appreciated!

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,113
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • milese
    Thanks, but it doesnt seem to be the same as the como.

For a start, with axel / bearings out, the freehub wont come off no matter how hard I pull it.

Any more ideas?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do the bolt up? The free hub is normally bolted onto the hub. Or they are a pull off easy.

Pictures of where you are with the strip down.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • milese
    Thanks for reply.

Not sure what I'd tighten?

DSC_0381_zpsocfjcbyw.jpg

DSC_0379_zpsagypogwh.jpg
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Seems to be the Shimano system.
    Try to fit a 10 or 12 mm hex key in the middle of the freehub body and tighten clockwise.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Was going to say the same; looks Shimani-ish. Clean out all the crap inside and you may see something that will take a 10mm hex key (not necessarily a hexagonal hole, might look like a 12 pointed star). If so, I'd unscrew it and take the thing off to make sure it's clean and nothing's broken / missing before reattaching it securely.
  • milese
    Thanks. I hadn't realised that there is a fitting for an Allen key in there. Like you say, it's not a her but there are some flattened sections.

It's bigger than 10mm though, and my biggest Allen key is 10mm, so I'll have to see what I can sort out. It's not obviously loose, in that it doesn't move with a big screw driver jammed in!
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    un screws with 12mm allen key inserted from non drive side miles.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Lookyhere wrote:
    un screws with 12mm allen key inserted from non drive side miles.

Not Shimano-ish then!