New road bike.

ernestokappa
ernestokappa Posts: 3
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello everybody, and congratulations for a nice forum.
My problem is the current:
I am medium to averagely experienced rider mainly in the mtb area and am looking to move into the road area.
I already own a touring bike which is brilliant and without it wouldn´t have made this move.
Riding home though from town I have seen my bike surpassed so many times from much faster bikes and therefore it seems to me that for speed I may have to look elsewhere.
My eyes ares set on a cheap second hand road bike-mediocre racer.
I have about 150 to 200 pound dispensable and have seen some marvelous bikes in adverts.
Would you advise me to buy a relatively newish Carrera etc or go for a older higher quality brand etc 5 year old giant for example?
Also does anybody have any (subjective in every case) examples of decent models (just of the top of the mind )that may interest me?
Thanks alot.

Comments

• Wouldn't really bother with a Carrera. FleaBay has some fine bikes going for cheap bucks. I was originally looking at one on there that i almost bought but pay rise at work increased my budget so went for something around £600. Example of what is around is this Felt http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felt-F95-Aug-2014-54cm-frame-plus-extras-/181714536080?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4f07c690

You'll get more for your money spec wise and could be lucky to get low mileage one like this one. Good hunting.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Don't forget to check out the classified section on this site.

One potential example is this Specialized Allez - now down to £350. Although above your budget it would be a much better buy (if the size is right) than a Carrera

viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13023765
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I would agree with the above- avoid the cheaper carrerras and go for a second hand spesh, trek, cannondale etc as long as they fit- although if you're fitted properly for the touring bike then you should be able to have an idea of the size to look for.

The carreras are OK bikes, the the frames are a bit on the heavy side and probably not as responsive as others, and ultimately the frame is the most important part of the bike- the rest can be slowly upgraded over time.
    Also, you if you just put a pair of skinnier tyres on the touring bike and stripped off the rack and guards (not that you should!!) then you'll probably gain about the same speed as you would on a stock carrerra.

If you can get hold of a quality alloy frame then you can slowly build up a respectable speed machine, although really just a good set of tyres and sub 2kg wheels will get you most of the way there by themselves.

EDIT: I should probably point out a couple of club mates have carrerras as winter bikes, usually with a groupset overhall and they get on quite well on the fast club runs- but then I also know of an old clubmate who would paste most during the weekly evening chaingang/ handicap training rides on his complete touring bike as the rider is the most important part in the end...
  • Thanks to everybody for the brilliant advice.
    I will follow my instinct then and pay more for a something better and even save for more.
    To modify my tourer is out of the question :) She is more than a bike to me-transit van, night taxi,,,