Canyon CF SLX Plastic Cable guide issues

gjurrjens
gjurrjens Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Workshop
Just bought my new CF SLX and have replaced my 3rd .... Yes 3rd, cable guide under the bottom bracket where the front and rear mech cables drop down and feed internal to the front and rear derailleur . Its made of plastic and has cracked / snapped rendering the bike useless. Has anyone else experienced any similar issue with SRAM RED CF SLX set up ?

Comments

• durchland
    durchland Posts: 1
    i am having the same problem. pretty much took the bike out of the box, shifted the front derailleur around and this thing broke. tried to put it together with epoxy again and reinforce it, but no luck.
  • Coula1
    Coula1 Posts: 12
    I had the same issue with my Ultimate SL, 2nd ride out using a SRAM force groupset I cracked the cable guide.

It's worth checking the cable routing at the FD. The obvious looking way to put the cable is not right and the cable needs to be on the inside of the little knoble near the cable clamp bolt. As I found to my cost this puts more force than normal on the cable guide if it's on the wrong side.

It might not be your issue but worth a look, I have had no issues since setting the FD up properly.
  • snifter83
    snifter83 Posts: 1
    Can I ask the OP, how much did the replacement guides cost? I have just done exactly the same thing with a Campy Athena front mech. I totally overtightened it. Hopefully this is a spare part Canyon have in stock.
  • marknicho
    marknicho Posts: 1
    Just noticed my Endurace CF has the same problem (11 months old) on an Ultegra 6800. Would explain why I've been having to adjust the cable tension in the FD so much. I've emailed Canyon. I'm presuming they can just send out the replacement part and its easy enough to pop out and install the new one?
  • jlace
    jlace Posts: 2
    Hi Guys
    ive had a similar issue with my Ultimate Cf sl
    did you have any issues getting a replacement from canyon ?
    does anybody know of any aftermarket cable guides that fit that canyon or is direct from canyon the only option
    thanks
    Jordan
  • Just happened to me, aeroad cf slx. One ride old! NOT HAPPY!!! this appears to be a common problem, how long did you guys wait for a replacement and did anyone suss out an equivalent?
  • jlace
    jlace Posts: 2
    Hi guys
    Managed to get a replacement and then 2 months later
    same issue
    this time ive been trying to get one from canyon with little luck
    this is the 3rd time they have told me I will receive one shorty so fingers crossed this time
    Think the issue is from the way the gear cables are , the cable to my FD runs through the cable guide in the larger groove furthest away from the chainring and FD , is this correct , the cables were replaced by a LBS when this issue happened last time
    thanks
    Jordan
  • MIne has just collapsed - does anyone know how long they take to replace as I contacted Canyon yesterday and they said they were out of stock?
  • 0viWan
    0viWan Posts: 1
    Hi Guys!

So, this cable guide issue can only be a bad joke right? Unfortunately it's not. Here I am with my Canyon Ultimate, mid-raceseason, the BB cable guide in pieces. Took 4 days to get a hold of Canyon. Ordered the new cable guide, got the order confirmation, estimated shipping date is late november/early december lol. Meanwhile I botched some crazy cable guiding around the BB to at least be able to ride. How on earth this can even be possible is beyond me. I mean wtf...my whole race-preparation for 2016 potentially a waste of time just because of a crappy, fragile sparepart, which costs 2€ but is not available for another 4 months. I'm wondering how Canyon is going to handle this. What this whole issue means is: if you want a bike to actually ride on, do not buy a Canyon, lesson learned.
  • Basher57
    Basher57 Posts: 1
    Hi guys
    i upgraded to an ultegra 11 speed full groupset and have spent hours trying to set up the front mech to no avail. I then noticed that the cable guide was slightly deformed probablt due to excessive cable tension (it just wont drop onto the small front ring when in a higher gear on the cassette. I have set loads of front mechs up in my time and have followed the Shimano instructions to the letter.
    Anyway once i went looking for a replacement i then realised the scale of the issue. I have since come across someone selling a 3d printed version of the cable guide who says he has completed over 3k on it with no issues. For a tenner delivered i have ordered one to try. Once fitted and tested i will report back onto the forum. This is bad from Canyon, however in the 18 months i have had the bike with 105 groupset i never had any issues.
  • Estinio
    Estinio Posts: 2
    Hi Guys!

I Also have this cable guide issue with my Canyon Ultimate CF-SL (2014), the BB cable guide in pieces.
    Took me first some days to recognise the GUIDE was broken. It started with my front derailleur. Every time I shifted once to the biggest wheel (of a triple) it was OK, the second time I tried it was harder to do. So readjusting the cable tension and again the first time OK but every sequential shifting it again gets worse. In the end I also lost my rear derailleur precision and at that moment I knew what was happening.

OMG CANYON SPECIFIC PART !!! NOTHING ABOUT THAT ON THEIR WEBSITE, BUT INTERNET IS FULL OF INFORMATION ABOUT THIS CABLE GUIDE ISSUE! So Contact CANYON.

Took me also some days to get a hold of Canyon due to a Bank Holiday. In the Netherlands they first asked me to proof the issue by sending photo's. As I said that will take another day of waiting, they shipped immediately. 2 days later I received the Cable guide! UNDER WARRANTY !!!
    !!! So far, good support of CANYON Netherlands. !!!

NEVERTHELESS: ITS COMPLETELY STUPID THEY DESIGNED THIS STUPID CABLE GUIDE AS IT IS!!
    A SMALL PIECE OF CRAP, EASELY REDESIGNED AND REINFORCED BY JUST MAKING BIGER ROUNDINGS AT THE SHARP CORNERS WERE IT BREAKS.
    !!! SO PLEASE CANYON REDESIGN THIS PART BY ALTERING THE MOLD AND SENT EVERY OWNER A GOOD SPAREPART !!!

SECOND: THIS PEACE SHOULD BE A SPAREPART ITEM. THE SAME AS A REAR DERAILLEUR PAD.
    AND EVERYONE WO CAN'T MISS THERE BIKE (For some Day’s Weeks or for someone even Months) SHOULD CONTACT CANYON AND GET ONE BEFOREHAND.

I will sent them an e-mail issuing my comments and try to get one spare. I even will pay for it, as I would also do for a spare rear derailleur pad. So my advice to everyone, get those parts in house as they are CANYON specific and without you can’t do s h i t with an otherwise perfect bike.

Happy bike fun.
  • Estinio
    Estinio Posts: 2
    Dear All,

Here an update! As announced I got in contact with the CANYON support center at Netherlands @ canyon.com. And as I thought PERFECT SUPPORT of CANYON Netherlands. !!!
    Although I had to write an additional e-mail for this :wink:

I wrote an e-mail in which I expressed my concern about not having a sparepart Cable guide.
    Their Answer: “Indeed, we understand that it is annoying to lose such a component. Out of coulance we will send you a spare cable guide for your Ultimate. If the part breaks down again, you have a reserve in stock. However, this is an exception to the rule we make for you.”

I’m happy with my FREE sparepart! When it would break again I can repair my bike within 30 min.

For the record: Both cable guides are a little bit better than the original. At the sharp corners (were the old one has broken) are now small round edges, so a little bit stronger. We will see how long the new model will last.

Finally: Tip for CANYON: put these spareparts on your website just like the derailleur pads. I think it would mean additional business. As I thinks no one would like to miss his bike due to such a small and (i guess) cheap item!

Wkr.
  • thesledge
    thesledge Posts: 46
    Just had the same problem with my 2015 CF SLX SL 9.0 - contacted Canyon via the online chat and they are sending a new cover guide out free and gratis. Should be here from Germany within 5 days.

Out of interest, how easy/difficult are they to fit? Is it something I need to get my LBS to do or can a complete numpty do it?

Any advice appreciated!
    It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.
  • thesledge
    Just had the same problem with my 2015 CF SLX SL 9.0 - only realised what the issue was after my LBS tuned my front derailleur and on handing the bike back said he'd notice some mangled plastic at the BB...

I contacted Canyon via the online chat and they are sending a new cover guide out free and gratis. Should be here from Germany within 5 days.

Out of interest, how easy/difficult are they to fit? Is it something I need to get my LBS to do or can a complete numpty like me do it?

Any advice appreciated!
    It's sad how Wile E. Coyote is remembered for his violence, and not for his brilliantly realistic paintings of tunnels.
  • Who cares? ™
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • thesledge
    Aah, the bored troll. How you people liven and enrich our lives. If only you had your own...