Where do i sent video of an idiot pulling out on me?

macleod113
macleod113 Posts: 560
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
I was commuting to work yesterday and a fool pulled out on me causing me to slam the anchors on doing 35mph down a hill (limit is 40 btw). thankfully i didn't hit him but it was close.

i'm just wondering what the process is to report him. i have editied the video to a manageable size and i was just wondering do i just mail it to the local police with a cover note or is there a better way to maybe get the driver to understand the danger in what he did?

not trying to say i am a perfect cyclist or driver but what he did was silly and dangerous.

thanks for your advice.
Cube Cross 2016
Willier GTR 2014

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Go to your local station and grab a report of bad driving form. Fill it in and state you have an independent witness. When you give it back in, include a copy of the film on CD / DVD. You actually need to send an unedited copy of the whole video file for it to be admissable.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Just hope it doesn't show you breaking any rules!! I heard that if it does the police tend to drop the matter or worse.
  • macleod113
    Thanks Kieran. not easy when they keep closing the local stations. Might have to go to Ripley/Ilkeston.

Nope not doing anything naughty. no RLJ'ing or pinching any old dears purses
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Or you coukd just put it down to experience. No one got hurt. Do you want someone reporting you every time you do something wrong?

Never made a mistake?
  • You've been framed?
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    An English teacher?
    Colnago Addict!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I felt compelled to report a dangerous road traffic incident (which was deliberate and, frankly, homicidal, but ultimately caused no harm) to the police a few weeks ago. I was asked by the 'investigating' officer to post the footage to policewitness.com.

YMMV
  • macleod113
    vermin wrote:
    I felt compelled to report a dangerous road traffic incident (which was deliberate and, frankly, homicidal, but ultimately caused no harm) to the police a few weeks ago. I was asked by the 'investigating' officer to post the footage to policewitness.com.

YMMV

i was knocked off in November by a careless (in my and the drivers opinion) driver and was bought the camera for xmas. i would be bothered in most cases but when stupidity can lead to death/hospitalisation.

thank you for the tips all :)
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Greater Manchester Police aren't worth bothering with. I've submitted two pieces of evidence and went through their online forum.

I didn't even get a response for either which were around 10-12 months apart. I won't bother in the future, and to be fair, I've had much better results by confronting drivers face-to-face.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Zanelad wrote:
    Or you coukd just put it down to experience. No one got hurt. Do you want someone reporting you every time you do something wrong?

Never made a mistake?

This.

Unless you've been hurt or the driver was obviously trying to endanger you then I suggest just taking it like a man. Yes, you could argue that if the driver isn't reported then he may end up hurting someone else, but I don't think we're quite at the Minority Report stage of doing people for future crimes they haven't committed yet. Might have just been a genuine error on the drivers part.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Greater Manchester Police aren't worth bothering with.

I'm not the least bit surprised. With the huge rise in the number of cyclists and motorcyclists (and drivers, if some reports are to be believed) using video cameras, police forces around the country are probably flooded with videos of motoring incidents, ranging from downright dangerous to mildly inconvenient. Without a dedicated budget (which would have to come from our taxes) to cover the cost of trawling through all those videos, I'm not surprised their priorities lie elsewhere.

If the road-using public could somehow be persuaded to restrict their reporting of road incidents to the really serious ones, maybe the police would pay more attention.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    Well in that case it might be useful if we have some idea what the police/we should consider serious ?

Variously Ive been informed that someone pulling out in from of me casusing a trip over there bonet was just edging out, no offence committed.

Crossing a solid white line to overtake a cyclist doing over 20mph causing said cyclist to swerve out of there way and 2 cars coming the other way to swerve from lane 2 to lane 1 as attempting a safe overtake.

I thought i was only reporting the really serious incidents already but apparently not !
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    XBNM wrote:
    Well in that case it might be useful if we have some idea what the police/we should consider serious ?

Variously Ive been informed that someone pulling out in from of me casusing a trip over there bonet was just edging out, no offence committed.

Crossing a solid white line to overtake a cyclist doing over 20mph causing said cyclist to swerve out of there way and 2 cars coming the other way to swerve from lane 2 to lane 1 as attempting a safe overtake.

I thought i was only reporting the really serious incidents already but apparently not !
    You need everyone else in the country to report just the serious incidents too...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Any chance you just post it here? All this build up, at least let us pass judgement on the to$$er. Even if the police aren't willing to do anything about it...

Might give you some closure if we all slag him off together! :D
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Zanelad wrote:

Never made a mistake?

A few weeks ago a coach driver "made a mistake." Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJAMnD ... freload=10

I reported him to his employer in the hope that, given I do that route every day, it would not happen again.

Guess what happened today? Should I leave it this time and only report it when he gets me 3rd time lucky?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Zanelad wrote:

Never made a mistake?

A few weeks ago a coach driver "made a mistake." Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJAMnD ... freload=10

I reported him to his employer in the hope that, given I do that route every day, it would not happen again.

Guess what happened today? Should I leave it this time and only report it when he gets me 3rd time lucky?

That's pretty rotten driving. Name and shame the company? Local paper? They love a little story like that, you know "Coach Company's Careless Driving nearly kills local Cyclist". Bingo.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • You actually need to send an unedited copy of the whole video file for it to be admissable.

Could you tell me where this piece of law might be found? I was quoted something similar by the Police when I reported a driver harassing us on our group ride today (who didn't want the video sent to him, oh no; an officer would need to be despatched to *seize* it). You see, having worked in the criminal justice system for over twenty years, and having scoured my own copy of Archbold 2015, I have *absolutely no idea* what either of you are talking about. None whatsoever.

I suppose that someone might run an argument under section 76 of PACE that the ACPO guidelines haven't been followed, but I can scarcely imagine how ACPO guidelines can be said to be binding legal authorities, let alone binding as against private individuals; in my opinion the argument would fail miserably (which is possibly why I have never heard of it being run). Then there's R. v Quinn [2011] NICA 19; not binding on courts in England and Wales, but somewhat more persuasive I think than cobblers that appears to be made up by the Police when they'd really rather not do anything, based on how they understand the US system works having seen something in a TV show once.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.