Chain and Cassette weights

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Will be looking to replace my Ultegra 6800 chain and cassette but considering doing so with 5800 items to save on cost. Does anyone know the weight / performance differences between the chains and cassettes?

Cheers

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    "Nothing that you will actually notice", I believe is the commonly held view.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I weighed both 11/28 5800 and 6800 cassettes and the difference is something like 27g. I think its even less between chains...so maybe 45g overall difference. Take a pee before you go out and you will have shed the additional difference or for a bigger weight difference take a dump :lol:
  • supermurph09
    MugenSi wrote:
    I weighed both 11/28 5800 and 6800 cassettes and the difference is something like 27g. I think its even less between chains...so maybe 45g overall difference. Take a pee before you go out and you will have shed the additional difference or for a bigger weight difference take a dump :lol:

Thanks for this, I'll just put 100ml less in my bottle and that should do it. :D
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The difference at one point of Shimano's product lines was the lockring. IIRC 105 was steel and Ultegra was aluminium. I just reused the lockring and saved a load of cash. Worth looking into the detail - ask on weightweenies website.
  • supermurph09
    The difference at one point of Shimano's product lines was the lockring. IIRC 105 was steel and Ultegra was aluminium. I just reused the lockring and saved a load of cash. Worth looking into the detail - ask on weightweenies website.

Thanks I'll take a look.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    MugenSi wrote:

Thanks for this, I'll just put 100ml less in my bottle and that should do it. :D

I thought every ride started like that? :)
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    MugenSi wrote:

While i agree with the sentiment.
    Add all of those 45 grams up across every component and it makes a difference.

Although, i will be replacing my 6800 cassette with 5800 when the time comes
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I've always bought ultegra Cassettes usually best weight for your buck compared to Dura ace or Red.
  • Go single speed, think of the weight saving of losing all those surplus cassette cogs, on top of taking a pre-ride pee and putting 100ml less water in the ride bottle. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    MugenSi wrote:
    This is why I always try and go for a dump pre-ride. Don't want to carry any excess weight.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Alex222 wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    This is why I always try and go for a dump pre-ride. Don't want to carry any excess weight.

I go for a pre ride dump as it less messy and more comfortable than a mid ride dump!

to the OP I use a tiagra cassette on my ultegra set up, but an ultegra chain I think as it was on offer at wiggle and was as cheap as 105 and only a £ or 2 more than Tiagra. :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    t4tomo wrote:
    Alex222 wrote:
    MugenSi wrote:
    I go for a pre ride dump as it less messy and more comfortable than a mid ride dump!

to the OP I use a tiagra cassette on my ultegra set up, but an ultegra chain I think as it was on offer at wiggle and was as cheap as 105 and only a £ or 2 more than Tiagra. :D
    Greg Lemond can testify to that