Sidi Shoes

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
Just took the plunge and bought a pair of Carbon Wire Vernice ride shoes… WOW!!! First time on, did 40 VERY hilly miles and truthfully NEVER EVER felt them…I had guesstimated cleat position and was approx spot on…the wire closures are something I saw/had yrs ago on some golf shoes..and I haven't had anything with them since…my how they have developed… easy closing..micro adjustment… all made the shoes feel like my most comfy slippers, with the addition/benefit of a carbon sole!!
I know they are not the cheapest shoes…but they really do make truth of the saying..you get what you pay for.. Had Fizik R3s, Spuik, Giro (nice shoes/wrong colour!) but these are just a different class!!

And a BIG shout for Sidicafe…brilliant delivery time..and shoes exactly as described , never dealt with them before… but they are top of the tree for shoes now in my opinion.

Comments

• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Yes, I would agree. My Wires have quickly become my favourite by some margin. Used to swear by Specialized S-works shoes which were great, but the comfort of the Sidi Wires is fantastic for me. I did buy a cheaper pair of Sidis for dirty weather and although they are good, they are not quite as comfy as the Wires.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I've had a pair of ergo 2's for 4 years now. Used as my summer/ racing shoes. They are still in good condition and the leather upper is so comfortable. I'm sorely tempted to get a pair of wires now though but can't justisfy the £250 price tag......... yet :lol:
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have some in a box from chrimstas. They are too nice to wear - not sure what to do with them!
    Insert bike here:
  • glasgowbhoy
    mpatts wrote:
    I have some in a box from chrimstas. They are too nice to wear - not sure what to do with them!
    Haha, what size? :)
  • mpatts
    mpatts wrote:

8 :D

Biggest issue is I need some nicer socks.
    Insert bike here:
  • I never expected them to be that comfy straight from the box!! The danger is they are now the "de facto" shoes by which all others will be measured by me…I just pray Sidicafe have decent stock..looking now i was VERY lucky they had my size..they seem to have small/big…none of the reg sizes too often. But top marks for their service.
    They are available slightly more expensive at Wiggle etc…but now I simply know they are worth it!
    to the poster saying they are in the box…..lol!!
    It's spring…set them free!!!!
  • glasgowbhoy
    mpatts wrote:
    mpatts wrote:

8 :D

Biggest issue is I need some nicer socks.

42- my size.

I'll happily take them off you :lol:
  • glasgowbhoy
    I never expected them to be that comfy straight from the box!! The danger is they are now the "de facto" shoes by which all others will be measured by me…I just pray Sidicafe have decent stock..looking now i was VERY lucky they had my size..they seem to have small/big…none of the reg sizes too often. But top marks for their service.
    They are available slightly more expensive at Wiggle etc…but now I simply know they are worth it!
    to the poster saying they are in the box…..lol!!
    It's spring…set them free!!!!

Yes, the SidiCafe Sizes and colours avaialble are a bit sparse. Need a 42 (i think, as that's what I take in Ergo 2) .Acycles have them at £220 but they are based in France and should the sizing between the Ergo2 and the wire be different, sending them back would end up costing and be more hassle than the £30 saving on Wiggle/ Sidi Cafe.
    Hmmmmm........
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I've gone the other way. Was a Sidi wearer for quite a few years and bought some Wire's in black. Nice shoes, stiff as a stiff thing and the closure is good, but I also bought a pair of Giro Prolights in the sales and roger me - they are the damage! The best shoes to have ever grace my feet. The good lady spoiled me at Xmas and purchased a pair of the Rapha Climbers Shoes (which are basically Prolights) so now I have a 'training' pair and a 'posing' pair.

This means I've now got a very shiny pair of size 43.5 Wire shoes with not much use, boxed and dying for a new ower ;-)
  • glasgowbhoy
    I've gone the other way. Was a Sidi wearer for quite a few years and bought some Wire's in black. Nice shoes, stiff as a stiff thing and the closure is good, but I also bought a pair of Giro Prolights in the sales and roger me - they are the damage! The best shoes to have ever grace my feet. The good lady spoiled me at Xmas and purchased a pair of the Rapha Climbers Shoes (which are basically Prolights) so now I have a 'training' pair and a 'posing' pair.

This means I've now got a very shiny pair of size 43.5 Wire shoes with not much use, boxed and dying for a new ower ;-)

tease....... 42's and we would be talking!
  • glasgowbhoy

Had a look at those Giros. I'm going to go try them on at Evans and see if they are like 'slippers' as reviewed. They don't initially 'grab me' though in the looks stakes. A bit bland for a £200 shoe!
  • thegreatdivide

Had a look at those Giros. I'm going to go try them on at Evans and see if they are like 'slippers' as reviewed. They don't initially 'grab me' though in the looks stakes. A bit bland for a £200 shoe!

I'm telling you - they are the bees. And wait until you pick one up! I was a bit sceptical because of the velcro – velcro on a road shoe? In 2015!? – but they fasten up perfectly and in 7000+ miles of riding I’ve never had to adjust them on the fly. Wiggo’s new team all wear the white ones and a few of the Sky riders wear the Rapha version.

[sorry about the thread hijack]
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I've had a pair of Ergo 2's for years - they replaced a pair of 6.6 Genius which were dreadful colour scheme but the most comfortable shoes I've experienced. I prefer the S Works road shoe over the Ergo 2's for fit and uber light weight (the last bit rather wasted on me!). Certainly I think Sidi are the better quality construction over the S Works, but they are slightly different points in the market.

One thing I hope Sidi have now addressed is the abysmal blue insoles which come with their shoes - closest relationship they have to cycling is the recycle bin!

Peter
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

What colour?....
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • thegreatdivide
    Gweeds wrote:

What colour?....

Black.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Giro shoes at www.cyclestore.co.uk today on offer
    M.Rushton
  • thegreatdivide
    mrushton wrote:
    Giro shoes at http://www.cyclestore.co.uk today on offer

Good shout.

But those Prolights are the silver/white older version. The SLX II's are pretty much the same price as elsewhere. Worth a pop on the earlier model though!
  • mpatts
    Got them out of the box and wore them yesterday. Lovely they are.
    Insert bike here:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    mrushton wrote:
    Giro shoes at http://www.cyclestore.co.uk today on offer

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/giro_empir ... s-ID_66750

Nestling amongst them is the black patent version of the empire for £137. That's more than a bit good.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ilav84
    ilav84 Posts: 124
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sidi-wire-carbon-air-vernice-road-shoes-2015/rp-prod93756

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sidi-wire-carbon-vernice-road-shoes-2015/rp-prod127350

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sidi-genius-6-6-carbon-mega-vernice-wide-fit-2015/rp-prod95285

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sidi-ergo-3-carbon-vernice-road-shoes-2015/rp-prod90380

What ones do you reckon lads? I can get 20% discount on them so lower than the price that's listed there.

Anyone have these or any of the other models? I don't want to buy shoes that aren't suited to our climate or ones that are designed for lovely nice weather in Spain or Italy etc. My first pair of SIDIs so i am sure they will be a step up from my Shimanos!
  • gweeds
    second ones down
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    how are they for sizing? normally uk 8 and 42 in most things, do the sidis run the same?
  • gweeds
    Very slightly smaller in my experience. I'm a 43 in normal shoes, and a 43 in Giro and Specialized, but a 43.5 in Sidi.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Cheers.
    They have them for around £180 on bike24 at the moment which seem's like an excellent price as longa as I can get sizing right.