Water in Rims

Mage Banan
Mage Banan Posts: 24
edited April 2015 in Workshop
I have found that a new set of wheels with Archetype rims is prone to get water in the rim. As I have taped them with a view to going tubeless in the future, the only way to get the water out is to unmount the tyre and let it drain out through the valve hole. The only way I can see to prevent this is drilling the rims. Has anyone got experience of this?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I wouldn't recommend drilling the rims, but if you want to do it at your own risk, my gut feeling tells me you're going to be fine, as long as you use the correct drill bit for metal (2 mm, then 2.5 to finish) and make sure you obtain a smooth finish around the hole. Drill half the way between two spoke holes for safety
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Shimano wheels (RS10, R501) have drainage holes, so after a wet ride I try to remember to park the bike with them at the bottom. Think they are smaller than 2.5 mm though

Can't see it being a problem with an Archetype. Have a look at the rim profile on the H Plus Son website to give you an idea where to drill.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. If you look at the cross section on the H Plus Son website, to drill close to the rim bed means going through the braking surface. Not sure I want to do that.

2mmb7o7.jpg
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    on my archetypes, just deflate tyre if necessary and rotate wheel so that the valve is bottom dead centre, any water will drain out. The water is often trapped around tyre/tube rather than inside the rim.
    Colnago Addict!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    On the RS10's they are just above the brake track. No idea if that leaves an undrained residue below them. Never heard anything sloshing about inside though; they definitely let a significant amount of water out; I've seen the puddles.
  • I have taped them up with some Tesa tensilized tape, so the rim bed is completely sealed except for the valve hole, and even that seals pretty well with the tube in place. No water leaks out at all unless I unmount the tyre.

I suppose I could drill immediately above the break track - it would limit water build up during a ride and allow most of it to drain out after. I'll see what H Plus Son have to say.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What do you expect H plus Son to say? "sure, go ahead, we'll give you one extra year warranty if you do so!'

C'mon! Of course they will say don't do it! :?
    left the forum March 2023