OT - running and foot strength

tgotb
tgotb Posts: 4,714
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
First of all, this is a running question. Apologies for posting on a cycling forum, but:
1. I suspect my problem may be cycling-related
2. I know enough of the regular posters on here to be able to filter the gold from the guff

Anyway, I recently took up running again. Used to do a lot of running at school (in what my daughter calls the olden days) and have done bits and bobs since, but pretty much none in the last 10 years or so. I'm pretty fit in a cycling context, and hopefully know my body well enough to be able to tell the difference between fatigue and injury. The shoes I'm using most of the time are pretty old, but were purchased from a proper running shop, with gait analysis etc. In due course I intend to replace them.

I've started becoming aware of an issue in my feet after running, one foot more than the other, where it's uncomfortable to put weight on my big toe after a run. Feels more like muscle weakness/fatigue than anything broken/torn, and only feels uncomfortable when walking and bearing weight. I also had a massive cramp in that area of the foot last night (this is something I'm used to in various leg muscles, and is normally linked to a hard training session, generally combined with insufficient rehydration). I never had this problem when running in the past, but I'm conscious that pretty much all my current fitness comes from cycling; because I always use very stiff shoes, I suspect that part of the foot rarely gets a workout on the bike. I've also noticed it to a lesser extent when walking (but not in ultra-stiff mountaineering boots).

So the question is: Does anyone recognise this, and am I correct in thinking it's down to puny muscles in my feet, and (so long as I'm careful not to overdo it) will eventually go away with training? My gut feel is that it's not an issue, but I've heard so many scare stories about running injuries that I don't want to do anything stupid.
Pannier, 120rpm.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Not had the issue you describe but my feet/legs definitely needed a little while to get used to running. The cycling meant I could happily go out and run a half marathon, still feel pretty fresh but then later and the following day my feet would be in bits. I still don't run too much but regularly enough that it's my fitness rather than feet now letting me down.
    I'd go with puny muscles. Ease in, see how things are in a few weeks etc.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • R4skob
    R4skob Posts: 40
    where about on your big toe is it? I used to have a similar issue with the pain on my joint on my big toe on the right foot.

Solved it with new shoes in the end. you say your shoes are pretty old, I would suspect the life has gone out of the sole on them and the impact from running there is what's causing it. Replaced some shoes that look fine but you can feel that the sole has gone on them, while others had to replace when they have literally fallen apart.

(I run 3/4 times a week, which could be why I go though trainers)
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Well, I recognise this, always in my left big toe and never a problem while riding, often a problem after a run, long walk or even a long spell of standing. For a long time I joked that it was gout, but the standard prescription is to make fists with your toes (like in Die Hard) when otherwise unoccupied. Scrunching up a towel with said toes is optional.
  • tgotb
    Thanks all - good advice as always! I'll continue to build up gently(*) and try the toe scrunching at my desk.

R4skob - the soreness isn't in a specific part of my toe; rather in the toe and the adjacent area of my foot. Sore when walking or standing after a long run, but never on the bike. "Feels" like muscle fatigue.

New shoes definitely on the list - the old ones can be kept in the office and relegated to gym use.

(*) Third run was 8 miles, so I may not have been building up as gently as I could - as dhope said, when you're already fit it's too easy just to keep going.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,360
    Why?
    You mean more than just running a few steps whilst carrying your bike?
    You do remember how running nearly killed G66 to death don't you?

I take it this is the sort of guff you are in need of filtering.
  • tgotb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Why?
    You mean more than just running a few steps whilst carrying your bike?
    You do remember how running nearly killed G66 to death don't you?

I take it this is the sort of guff you are in need of filtering.
    Three reasons:
    1. Due to my own incompetence, I had to run two entire laps carrying a bike last season. If that happens again, I'd like it to be faster and less painful, and I'd also like the option of being able to walk properly the day after.
    2. I agreed to do a 24hr relay race in July (sounds bizarre, but there's a girl involved, and I'm weak)
    3. G66 is a triantelope. Real cyclists (apart from our mutual friend who gives up every time his crank falls off) are made of sterner stuff.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    TGOTB wrote:
    Real cyclists (apart from our mutual friend who gives up every time his crank falls off) are made of sterner stuff.
    :lol:
    That reminds me, he threatened to come out for a drink soon.
  • tgotb
    Veronese68 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    Real cyclists (apart from our mutual friend who gives up every time his crank falls off) are made of sterner stuff.
    I'd be up for that!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    TGOTB wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    I'd be up for that!
    I'll keep you posted.
    Pub 6 doors up from me has a beer festival 23rd-26th April.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Oi!!!!!!!

Beer would be good. Not sure when, but will text you both.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."