roadie turned hybrid - cannondale 105

olly18uk
olly18uk Posts: 2
edited April 2015 in Road beginners
Hi all.

I have a Cannondale Disc 105 Synapse 2014, great bike, has 700cx25 schwable tyres on, but really wanted to take down canal footpaths and slightly rougher surfaces etc, can i change to a slightly wider tyre, i.e.28 nobbly tyre like a schwable marathon? Any thoughts/ideas on the subject would be great, can't really justify buying a hybrid when I have this beauty.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I would think you would find Schwalbe Marathons a bit sluggish when on the road. I tried them once on my Audax bike and it felt like I was riding through treacle. I now use Conti Gatorskins.

Not sure what tyres would be best for what you want, but I would suggest having a look at cyclo-cross bike tyres.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Something like this maybe better. http://www.panaracer.com/road.php
  • I would be interested to see the suggestions here. Am sort of in the same predicament. Have a flat bar road bike on the way and will change the tyres as soon as it arrives as stocks are never that good. My tyres need to fit a this criteria. 1.) Puncture proof (resistant), 2.) Be good on the road, 3.) Be and all year round tyre though I may change tyres according to season if persuaded and 4.) Be able to be used on light gravel paths.

So I think we are in the same boat on this one.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you can stomach the price and you have the clearance I'd say that 28mm Conti 4 Seasons would do all that.

I've done the odd bit of gravel riding on my 25's and they were fine. If you're riding off road most of the time then some CX tyres, about which I know nothing, would likely be a better bet.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    +1 for the Conti 4 seasons. I run them on my Dolan Preffisio which is my main commuter bike, and half my route (6 miles each way) is canal tow path, made up of mixed gravel track and mud! Not much traction if themuch is wet though!
    I only run 25mms as well.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    For comfort value I prefer larger than 28mm, I prefer to run a minimum of 32 or a 34 tyre.
    For predominantly road riding (winter club rides) I would use semi slick tyres run at low pressure, for more off road (gravel, forest trails etc) I would have my 34c Bontrager CX 0 Team again at low pressure. So far puncture free and thats with a lot of riding in them. Review here ( http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2014/1 ... re-review/)
    Previously used Continental Cyclocross Speeds, ok on the road but as thin as paper, they hated gravel and also hated wet grass or mud.