Bike Park Wales - uplifts

mxh
mxh Posts: 51
edited May 2015 in Holidays
I'll be visiting the UK from Australia this summer, and am thinking of visiting BPW for a day or two.

Am just trying to gauge how big the place is and whether it's worth getting a day pass for uplifts, or just buying some individual ones. I know it depends on how fast you go down, but roughly how many shuttles would you expect to do in a day? And are they pretty frequent? - I'd be going on a weekday.

And have any of the other Welsh trail centres changed much in the last 5 years or so - I've been to them all previously, but just wondering if there are any new 'must do' trails that have opened recently.

Cheers for any info

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    mxh wrote:
    Am just trying to gauge how big the place is and whether it's worth getting a day pass for uplifts, or just buying some individual ones. I know it depends on how fast you go down, but roughly how many shuttles would you expect to do in a day? And are they pretty frequent? - I'd be going on a weekday.
    there's a lot of trails to cover, and if your visit is going to be a one-off then I reckon you'd be best off booking a day's uplift - that way you're guaranteed to get the most out of your time. You have to book WELL in advance, though, and make sure you do all the online registration/personal injury waiver stuff, too. I've heard you can expect to get in about 8 or 9 runs in a day with the uplift, and trust me - you wouldn't want to do more than 3 or 4 if you have to pedal up :shock:
    And have any of the other Welsh trail centres changed much in the last 5 years or so - I've been to them all previously, but just wondering if there are any new 'must do' trails that have opened recently.

Yeah - lots has changed.

At Cwmcarn, there's two new trails - an excellent short but red-rated XC loop called Cafall, plus a downhill run called Pedalhounds which starts from the highest point on the Cafall trail. The original "Twrch" XC loop is currently undergoing rolling closures to some parts of the trail, but the "Y Mynydd" downhill is unaffected. Both downhill trails currently have an uplift service, but unfortunately they only service one trail on any one day, so unless your idea of fun is riding the same trail over and over again, I don't really see the point. I'd definitely make time to ride either the Cafall-into-Pedalhounds option, though - which takes about 60-90mins depending on fitness. You get one of the best bits(if somewhat short) of Cafall descent half way through the trail, then climb back up and join the Pedalhounds trail in the woods at the top.

At Afan/Glyncorrug, there's been lots of activity:
    1. changes and extensions to "The Wall", plus a new skills area/mini bike park just off the main trail.
    2. The Skyline Trail has been partially closed and replaced by a new trail called "Blade" (although you can still ride a loop of the original Skyline as an optional extra).
    3. White's level has been tinkered with - the route of the initial climb has been changed at least twice in that time, and it now shares the climb out of Glyncorrug ponds with the Blade trail.
    4. The old "Penhydd" trail was closed for years, but has now been reopened, with mostly new trails, but a few small sections of the old trail re-claimed. it now shares a climb out of the Afan carpark with a new trail called "Blue Scar" which despite being blue-graded is a lot of fun and has some potentially tricky sections, epsecially as you can pick up a lot of speed if you stay off the brakes.

There's certainly enough riding at Afan to entertain you for 2 days, now - or you could limit yourself to one (FULL) day and cherry-pick the best bits.

Some useful websites for planning your visits:
    http://www.bikeparkwales.com/
    https://cwmdown.co.uk/
    http://www.mbwales.com/
    http://www.cognation.co.uk/
  • mxh
    mxh Posts: 51
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply - sounds like quite a bit has changed whilst I've been away.

I visited the Forest of Dean last time I was back in the UK - quite enjoyed that, but the lure of some 'upwardly assisted' riding is certainly appealing.
  • KeithRann
    KeithRann Posts: 50
    As a quick reply... 100% buy an uplift for the day. You will get a good 10+ runs in during the day and if only buying individual passes riders with the day pass have preference in the queue so you may end up standing there for over an hour just to get on the bus. Doubt you would get anymore than 5-6 rides in that way.

I've managed 13 runs in with a full day pass, you could do 15 if you went flat out.